only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Cabelas instinct pot cal

Started by scoot12, March 13, 2016, 12:19:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MK M GOBL

Quote from: Bowguy on March 13, 2016, 06:23:46 PM
Quote from: MK M GOBL on March 13, 2016, 06:14:59 PM
Not that I have this call or saying it's the one to buy but I do have one of those "Big Box" stores calls and can't tell you how many people told me they don't like the call. A "Lot" has to do with the guy running the call. That call has killed a good number of birds for me when nothing else was working, it's in my pack just for that reason. Day to day I run a different call, but whatever the reason on those days birds just don't want it, I take it out the other call and it's game on.

I hear this all the time "Big Box" and just remember that big box started out as one man selling a few items out of his home... And I can definitely tell you just because a call is "custom" made doesn't necessary make it better than a mass produced call. I have heard plenty of poor sounding custom calls I wouldn't spend 9.99 on...

MK M GOBL

So is this call worth 150 than? No disagreeing w you only asking?

Well... I have not played that call yet so I could not give you a review of it.

(I was just trying to get the point across that just because a call is sold at a big box store doesn't automatically make it not worth the money)

If you were asking where I would be spending my money, that would be on a Cody World Class Slate, the call sells for $175 and I have ended more birds with that call than anything I have ever used and still counting.

MK M GOBL

Bowguy

Quote from: MK M GOBL on March 13, 2016, 06:46:56 PM
Quote from: MK M GOBL on March 13, 2016, 06:14:59 PM
Not that I have this call or saying it's the one to buy but I do have one of those "Big Box" stores calls and can't tell you how many people told me they don't like the call. A "Lot" has to do with the guy running the call. That call has killed a good number of birds for me when nothing else was working, it's in my pack just for that reason. Day to day I run a different call, but whatever the reason on those days birds just don't want it, I take it out the other call and it's game on.

I hear this all the time "Big Box" and just remember that big box started out as one man selling a few items out of his home... And I can definitely tell you just because a call is "custom" made doesn't necessary make it better than a mass produced call. I have heard plenty of poor sounding custom calls I wouldn't spend 9.99 on...

MK M GOBL

So is this call worth 150 than? No disagreeing w you only asking?

Well... I have not played that call yet so I could not give you a review of it.

(I was just trying to get the point across that just because a call is sold at a big box store doesn't automatically make it not worth the money)

If you were asking where I would be spending my money, that would be on a Cody World Class Slate, the call sells for $175 and I have ended more birds with that call than anything I have ever used and still counting.

MK M GOBL
I've killed a lot of birds w Cody calls n didn't spend that much. Actually never even heard one that expensive so I can't say anything about it but Cody is imo in a bit of a dif league than most big box store calls. They actually work n sound decent.
Think about something compare the big box store Zink owl hooter to a Hootin stick, compare as I said earlier the bamboozle to the SS box, get a primos or mad pot, they can't hold a candle to an awful lot of makers. Those plastic wingbones, how you like them? How bout the crow calls? The eight note owl hooter?
Not the same, as a kid I killed many birds by locating w the 8 note hooter n calling em in w a Quaker boy slate or mad Crystal. They all sound pretty rough now. Another thing I think you've mentioned working in a store? I could be wrong but of so can the $175 call even be on a big box store shelf?
Don't take any of this as disrespect for your knowledge, yes there are bad call makers, yes there are a couple decent production calls and Cody is one of em imo but average it out n who sells better calls? Cabelas or most custom guys?

Footballer

It definitely isn't worth $150. However, I'd like to hear a different striker on the call. I bet it could really sing with a dymondwood striker.

Either way, I'm never going to spend that kind of money on a pot call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MK M GOBL

I've killed a lot of birds w Cody calls n didn't spend that much. Actually never even heard one that expensive so I can't say anything about it but Cody is imo in a bit of a dif league than most big box store calls. They actually work n sound decent.
Think about something compare the big box store Zink owl hooter to a Hootin stick, compare as I said earlier the bamboozle to the SS box, get a primos or mad pot, they can't hold a candle to an awful lot of makers. Those plastic wingbones, how you like them? How bout the crow calls? The eight note owl hooter?
Not the same, as a kid I killed many birds by locating w the 8 note hooter n calling em in w a Quaker boy slate or mad Crystal. They all sound pretty rough now. Another thing I think you've mentioned working in a store? I could be wrong but of so can the $175 call even be on a big box store shelf?
Don't take any of this as disrespect for your knowledge, yes there are bad call makers, yes there are a couple decent production calls and Cody is one of em imo but average it out n who sells better calls? Cabelas or most custom guys?

No disrespect taken, and there are a number of skilled makers out there and I do have some custom calls I rely on. One of the things I like most about this site is you hear a range of opinions. I myself have no problem spending $200 on a call if that call meets my expectations for sound quality. The Cody I have is one of his custom calls long before they entered the mass production call business. I do work for a retail store and we do carry Cody's Woodsman and had the Drop Dead call as well and sell a bunch of them. I have an old H.S. Reed Owl Hooter the just brings out the gobbles, I myself don't care for the Zink call as it locks up on the end of the roll for me... It was one of the calls I was looking at when my owl call broke this spring, have had that call for 20+ years. Ultimately I buy a call by it's performance, I try out everything before I buy.

"Cody" will not put the World Class on the shelf, it is still in the "custom" end of Bill's work. I have talked with a lot of customers and have even steered them off some of the calls we carry and said if you contact said maker you will be much better off with this call. I have had a number of customers come back to me for this kind of advise, there again "performance based".

I would say Cabela's does sell some pretty top performance/high end equipment overall, may not always be in our specific "Turkey Call" discussion, but they do have a lot of high quality products. I don't know who is making this call for them either and haven't seen anything else like it yet. Would be hard for me to say is it "worth it" until I have had one in my hands.

I am interested in seeing about this calls performance in the field, hope to see something on it from "Spring Thunder" or YouTube.

MK M GOBL

dantheman

wait 2 months it will be in the bargain cave for 29.99. call isn't for me either

rbreedi1

Sounds terrible to me... Feel sorry for those who get took with this one!
Thunder Ridge Totes

Popapi

Quote from: Bowguy on March 13, 2016, 12:34:16 PM
I think it's terrible. Doesn't sound right n they're trying to market it as a two sided call, sounds even worse that way. Def not for me, I'll stay w good makers n not big box stores stuff
As SOON as I heard it I said the SAME thing. "thats TERRIBLE".

outdoors

THIS CALL MAY NOT SOUND ALL THAT TURKISH , BUT I WOULDN'T BE SURPRISED
IF IT BROUGHT IN MORE BIRDS THAN SOME GOOD SOUNDING CALLS ........ 
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field