turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mossberg 835 again

Started by Trad1, March 10, 2016, 05:00:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trad1

Picking up my new 835 on saturday,won,t be getting a new choke funds are low but I did get a scope for it.So to you mossberg shooters out there what should I expect with the ulti-mag choke?I know shoot it and find out,but just wondering on how it will preform this season.Will run it this spring with just the choke it comes with and see how it preforms.Had a older moldel 835 at one time and killed a few birds with it.If I remember right it was a shooter with the factory choke.That was back in the early nineties though.will be using longbeard 4s&5s.

Farmboy27

As you said you'll have to shot it to find out, but there's a good chance that the factory choke will work just fine out to 40 yards.  Longbeards typically bring out the best in a shotgun/choke.  If you're in the numbers counting game then you can spend some money on chokes and shells and get "better" results.  But if you're in the turkey killing game then I'm sure the factory choke will serve you just fine.

Bowguy

I also bought a 835 in the early 90s. Long story short i needed the gun quickly n never shot anything but a factory choke through it. It's taken plenty of birds.
Last year I tried the Longbeards through that gun w that choke. Patterned beautifully but the pattern was so tight it gave me thought for concern. As impressive as they are at 40 yards they're scary at 20 n under so I gave em up for now.
The gun w that choke is a proven turkey killer w many loads

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Trad1 on March 10, 2016, 05:00:17 PM
Picking up my new 835 on saturday,won,t be getting a new choke funds are low but I did get a scope for it.So to you mossberg shooters out there what should I expect with the ulti-mag choke?I know shoot it and find out,but just wondering on how it will preform this season.Will run it this spring with just the choke it comes with and see how it preforms.Had a older moldel 835 at one time and killed a few birds with it.If I remember right it was a shooter with the factory choke.That was back in the early nineties though.will be using longbeard 4s&5s.

If you can find one, the Bone Collector is an excellent choice.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

kdsberman

It'll kill birds no problem at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

owlhoot

Quote from: Farmboy27 on March 10, 2016, 05:36:00 PM
As you said you'll have to shot it to find out, but there's a good chance that the factory choke will work just fine out to 40 yards.  Longbeards typically bring out the best in a shotgun/choke.  If you're in the numbers counting game then you can spend some money on chokes and shells and get "better" results.  But if you're in the turkey killing game then I'm sure the factory choke will serve you just fine.
Know plenty of fellas that do just that with the factory choke even well before the longbeards loads. You tell them to spend another 50- 100 bucks on a choke and they think ya fell and bumped your head  :z-dizzy:

PEHunter

I've got an 835 that I bought back in the late 90s also. I shoot 4s and 5s through the ulti-full choke it came with.  I don't carry it much anymore so I can't remember the pellet count, but it shoots both loads well. It will get the job done for sure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: allaboutshooting on March 10, 2016, 07:07:53 PM
Quote from: Trad1 on March 10, 2016, 05:00:17 PM

If you can find one, the Bone Collector is about an excellent choice.

Thanks,
Clark

THIS!!!  Search my pics.  One of the best chokes in have ever run in the 835, and I've personally owned 7 and havebset up another12  at least.  Great geometry,  works with flight control wads and it patterns AMAZINGLY WELL.  Did I say they pattern well?  How bout almost 350/10" with 3.5" hevi 7s, 300 with hevi 6s, and 200+ with 3.5" heavyweight 7s. 
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

BowBendr

^^ Those were some killer pattern pics, that setup was a beast !! ^^

2015 Old Gobbler contest Champions

Phire Phite

would that be the Tru Glo Bone Collector? 

mightyjoeyoung

Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Phire Phite

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on March 12, 2016, 09:58:20 PM
Quote from: Phire Phite on March 12, 2016, 12:31:21 PM
would that be the Tru Glo Bone Collector?

Yessir.   ;D

I did a....(gasp) search  :jackson:and found one of your patterning pics with that choke.  I'm so getting one.  I think I may paint the end of it pink or something with some nail polish as that seems awefully unfair!

wvmntnhick

Anyone know what this thing will do with TSS in the 835?  I'm betting it's too tight but just wondering if anyone has tried it yet.

snapper1982

24 inch barrel and factory choke put up very nice and even patterns at 40 yards with turkey thug #5s and even remington #5s. Both were 3 inch loads not 3.5".

Hey hick, the factory choke did really well with a 2 oz duplex load of tss 6x8. Very good patterns. I can not remember numbers but it was good. Used it to kill my fall bird.

sierra6

I've got a 1990 Vintage 835 with a non ported 24" barrel.  I've had great results with the factory choke tubes.  Excellent patterns out to and beyond 40yds.  Spend a few hours at the patterning bench with your factory tubes and a variety of loads.  I think you'll be surprised and save a few $.
"When the Turkeys ain't gobblin, it's tough to make em stop!"