OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Strutting and fighting hen

Started by Browning4140, March 09, 2016, 11:54:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Browning4140

Last year during turkey season I was sitting in a ground blind due to some light rain had moved in. I was watching 3 long beards about 300yds away in a field and trying all kinds of different calls to get them to come on over. While watching them out of the left side of my blind I didn't think to look back towards my decoy right in front of me. I heard something start hitting my decoy and when I looked up all I could see was the tail fan of what I thought was a jake. It turned sideways and to my surprise it was a hen. She was strutting just like a long beard and circling my decoy and jumping on it fighting. Has anyone else every had a hen to strut?

darn2ten

Yes, I've seen 2 different hens strut. Never seen one or heard of one attacking a decoy though.

MK M GOBL

I have had plenty of hens "fight" with my DSD upright hen, even killed toms as they came over to the hen fight. Have had hens strut, drop their wings and do aggravated purrs and one that tried it's hand at gobbling.

This one decided to strut with the big boys

MK M GOBL

fallhnt

Turkeys check there place in the pecking order every day.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Greg Massey

Yes I've seen hens strut several times just like a gobbler..

Tennessee Lead

I've saw a hen strut after being bred by a gobbler she then proceeded to fight the hens that where near by.

Sent from the barrel of a model 70 at 3300 fps

Dr Juice

Quote from: MK M GOBL on March 10, 2016, 12:08:26 AM
I have had plenty of hens "fight" with my DSD upright hen, even killed toms as they came over to the hen fight. Have had hens strut, drop their wings and do aggravated purrs and one that tried it's hand at gobbling.

This one decided to strut with the big boys

MK M GOBL
Awesome. I have not had the pleasure with a similar experience throughout my hunting career.

spaightlabs

Had the same thing happen last year.  She came in , beat up on the hen decoy for a bit then proceeded to strut around for a few minutes before she left.

Spitten and drummen

seen hens strut and assault decoys. they have established pecking orders just like gobblers. that's why when a gobbler is henned up , you try to identify the dominate hen and call loud and aggressive to her , imitating her calls. she sometimes comes looking for a fight with ole boy trailing behind.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

dirt road ninja

Never witnessed a strutting hen, but have seen them fight a bunch and attack dekes. I say in the fall and winter they are more violent then toms.

hotspur

OldSchool

In over 30 years of hunting, I've never seen a hen in full strut. I've seen them in what I'd call a half strut, but never a full blown wing dragging strut. Gotta be cool to see first hand. I haven't used decoys very much and never anything but a lone hen when I have, but I've had hens come in and beat the crap out of it more than once. Never a dull moment when there's turkeys around.

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

ddturkeyhunter

From the time I got my first DSD hen in 2010 I have seen fights,strutting, you name it, well worth the extra money for the extra entertainment.