OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

SS Box Call wood reccomendations

Started by SemoRiverRat, March 08, 2016, 11:54:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muzzy61

Call them. Al will work with you to get the sound you want. Great guy to do business with, and great calls.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

wvmntnhick

Broke down and ordered one myself. Just sent him a message and told him I'd like a box made of darker colored wood. I'm a fan of the darker woods for some reason. From what I've gathered, it doesn't much matter what you choose. They're going to make it sing either way.

Jgarrett

Got my walnut over butternut today and man it's just great.  The exact sound I wanted
John Garrett IV
The Panhandle of Florida

R.W. Mackey

Doesn't matter what you pick if you just want sound, Al can make a great sounding box from a piece of Pine kindling. Now if you want looks it would be hard to beat my matched pair, one sider and short box made from Black Mineral Poplar and African Padeouk.

RW
Lone Star Gamecalls
We Talk the Talk

SwampRooster17

Two years ago I ordered a call from Al and Josh. I didn't know what kind of wood I wanted but he helped me and I decided on purple heart paddle with a butternut box. If you tell them the sound you want he will tune it accordingly. There boxes are full of turkey can't go wrong with a SS box call!

ferocious calls

The Walnut over Butternut I received from a call trade with SS is outstanding! One of, if not the best call I have traded for.