OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Franchi affinity 3" federal HW 7

Started by darron, March 06, 2016, 02:51:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darron

darron

What do u guys think? This was off hand no sled stabilizing on knee lasers 40 yards. I was impressed with the evenness of pattern. I did not count # was rushed for time. Carlson choke .575.

darron

Compare top pattern of the 20 with my 12ga m1 pattern of hevi 7

darron

Is the top pattern decent? Huntable? Try a new choke?

kwild835

Quote from: darron on March 07, 2016, 06:54:42 AM
Is the top pattern decent? Huntable? Try a new choke?

I think it is very huntable.  The 12 gauge 7 hevi isn't apples to apples.  Waaay more pellets in that load.  You will get waaaay more penetration with 7 Heavyweights.  If you are holding shots to 40 yard limit, then you are good to go with the 20 gauge.  If you tried another choke I would try Sumtoy.

darron

thanks..I get better patterns out of my 870 20ga, but it is border line too tight. I do like how the pattern is even in the top pic at 40 yards. I take my 20ga when I am hunting in timbered areas where my shots are typically close. I shot hevi 7 out of the franchi and didn't think it patterned as good as the feds.

Otdrzman

I have that very same gun. I tried several different choke tubes and was shooting HW 7's and Hevi-13 7's. The combo that worked best for me was a Carlsons .575 and Hevi-13 7's. The Hevi-13's have a 1/4 oz. less shot but at 40 yards the pellet count in a ten inch circle averaged in the high 150's and the HW 7's was a little less. The pattern was nice and uniform. Your gun may very well prefer something different though.

darron

I tried the hevi-7 and the federal 7 shot more uniform pattern. I am shooting a carlson .575 extended non ported. I hate spending a small fortune on chokes and loads so I start off cheap and if it is a huntable pattern I'll leave it.

Would you hunt with the top pic?

kwild835

Quote from: Otdrzman on March 07, 2016, 09:50:58 AM
I have that very same gun. I tried several different choke tubes and was shooting HW 7's and Hevi-13 7's. The combo that worked best for me was a Carlsons .575 and Hevi-13 7's. The Hevi-13's have a 1/4 oz. less shot but at 40 yards the pellet count in a ten inch circle averaged in the high 150's and the HW 7's was a little less. The pattern was nice and uniform. Your gun may very well prefer something different though.
The 1.5oz of HWT actually has about 20 less pellets the 1.25oz of Hevi 7's.(Actually because there is no telling what all sizes are in the Hevi shell, there will probably be more pellets than that.)
If I had comparable patterns with those two shells, I would pick the Federal's.

Otdrzman

Quote from: kwild835 on March 07, 2016, 10:03:51 AM
Quote from: Otdrzman on March 07, 2016, 09:50:58 AM
The 1.5oz of HWT actually has about 20 less pellets the 1.25oz of Hevi 7's.(Actually because there is no telling what all sizes are in the Hevi shell, there will probably be more pellets than that.)
If I had comparable patterns with those two shells, I would pick the Federal's.
I stand corrected. I didn't take into account that the two shells may have different types of shot. My particular setup liked the Carlsons .575 and Hevi-13 7's the best.

Deast1988

I've shot puregold, sumtoy Carlson mad max by Indian creek through my 20s. Best I keep coming back to is the trulock #7 20ga choke nice even and with my 20ga solid 40yd patterns

Hansonc

Maybe try a Trulock for the fed hw and if it doesn't work to your liking send it back? Pretty reasonably priced if you ask me. I think the top pattern is huntable but I'd like a little more density if it were me. My affinity should be here next week I can't wait to see what it can do.

darron

trulock will allow you to send them back?

Hansonc

Yeah as long as it's within 60 days of purchase no questions asked. Refund or exchange your choice.

Dr Juice

Very hunt-able. Do yourself a favor and get that 20 on a lead sled and work it. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk