OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Remington Nitro or Winchester Supreme

Started by Browning4140, March 04, 2016, 11:22:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Browning4140

Going to try and find a secondary load for my new 835. I bought some Winchester Lond Beard 3.5" #6, but as with anything I would like to have a backup plan in case the WLBXR doesn't work out for me. Between the Remington Nitros and Winchester Supreme both with #5 shot, which would you guys recommend for a plan B load?

Bowguy

dirt road ninja

Double B

Followed by buzzards

Browning4140

My local Walmart also has 2 different federal loads one with flightcontrol wads and another without. Are they any count? I am not really sure about using the ones with the flight control wad since the 835 has a ported barrel and the bass pro black out choke is ported. Anyone had any luck with the federals?

Philippe

If I was desperate I would stock a few boxes of Federal Turkey Thugs or Winchester XX's in the 2.25oz payload.

Izzyjoe

I personally would not buy any turkey ammo Remington makes, me and others on this site have not had any luck with it!

Yoder409

1.  The Longbeard XR will work for you.

2.  If for some freak of nature it does not............... Winchester Supremes.

3.  ALL of the Remington turkey loads I ever bought to pattern (except for some old green & orange box 20 ga. hevi-shot) have ended up as crow huntin shells.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

surehuntsalot

the Winchester shells will do fine for you, as others have said stay far away from the Remington "squirrel" shells
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

tha bugman

Winchester supreme but I think you will be pleased.  My mossberg with a Tru Glo choke loves Longbeard 3.5 #4's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paboxcall

My 1300 patterned the Winchester Supreme two oz. loads of #5 copper plated a lot using a Hastings .660.  Winchester for lead, no question in my mind.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Old Dominion Tom

If I had to put money on it I'd say the Winchesters would likely outshoot the Remington Nitros.  However if you are looking at Remington Premier Magnum, then you may find them quite compatible to the Winchesters.  In my current 870 SM the perform very similar to the Winchester Supreme.  I had an 870 special field years ago in which they slightly out shot the Winchesters.  Based on what I've seen on this discussion board it sounds like most folks end up having better luck with Winchesters.  I can say that i have been able to get a good hunting combo out of every gun in which tried Winchesters.  Based on that and on what the majority on here have experienced, I'd say select Winchesters if you can only pick one.

Dr Juice

mikejd

I have been killing birds for years with supremes. Rem nitros are equivalent to throwing play dough at the target. Junk.