OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

SBE2 windage adjustments

Started by PineyRooster, March 02, 2016, 06:20:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chow hound

Farmboy, not going to argue but a shotgun is not a rifle.  The position of your eye acts somewhat like a rear sight on a rifle.  It doesn't matter how it shoots in a vice, you need to hold the gun naturally.  I tried different shims and lining up the mid bead with the muzzle bead the same way each time produced different POI with different shims.  Again, I am not pointing and shooting, I am sitting down with the gun rested on my knee and lining up the beads (just like you would while hunting).  Tested each shim with at least 5 shots to confirm POI for that shim.  I would encourage anyone who is having POI issues with SBEII to try this before concluding you have a problem.

Farmboy27

You're right a shotgun is not a rifle.  And while I still stand by my earlier comments on shims, I will not argue with your results.  Just because shimming never worked for me, doesn't mean it wont work for anybody else.  I do apologize!  Please understand that my intentions were good.  I have seen far to many people go though several boxes of shells adjusting shims just to find out that the barrel or mag tube was the issue.  But if your gun is now shooting the way you like because you changed shims then great!  Seasons almost here, its the happiest time of the year! :z-guntootsmiley:

Mallards Only

Quote from: Farmboy27 on March 06, 2016, 07:49:36 PM
Your thinking is good in theory and is exactly why changing shims can work well for a wing shooter or a clay shooter. However, your comment about shooting off your knee and not a rest proves my point.  Shooting off your knee is not a reliable test for true poi, a rest is. On a rest you're far more likely to line everything up properly. Off your knee you're apt to hold how the gun wants to fit on shoulder. Hence the reason shimming works for wing shooting where your not actually aiming. If changing shims changes your poi then the problem was never the gun, it was the way it was being pointed down range.

Exactly.

BINK McCARTY

Quote from: PineyRooster on March 05, 2016, 11:09:42 AM
i suppose you could say turkey guns are a lot like rifles in that each choke/gun combo has its favorite round.. guess my decision now is do i want to shoot beads and another turkey load or do i want to mount my ff3 and stick with the hvywts
Yes...stick with the HW!!!!I use the EXACT same set-up as you except I shoot a RR .650 with the FED HW #7. I have a Burris speed bead on mine and it's the cats meow for sure!!! What kind of #s are you gettin' with your patterns?

PineyRooster

Quote from: BINK McCARTY on March 13, 2016, 11:24:32 AM
Quote from: PineyRooster on March 05, 2016, 11:09:42 AM
i suppose you could say turkey guns are a lot like rifles in that each choke/gun combo has its favorite round.. guess my decision now is do i want to shoot beads and another turkey load or do i want to mount my ff3 and stick with the hvywts
Yes...stick with the HW!!!!I use the EXACT same set-up as you except I shoot a RR .650 with the FED HW #7. I have a Burris speed bead on mine and it's the cats meow for sure!!! What kind of #s are you gettin' with your patterns?
didn't count numbers with the heavyweight I liked the pattern tho and the wiggle room I had with the patterns, however longbeard 3.5" #4s im getting 140 plus.. the longbeard patterns are true with my beads too