OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

SBE2 windage adjustments

Started by PineyRooster, March 02, 2016, 06:20:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PineyRooster

need some tips or advice or really just need to know if this problem is fixable without Kentucky windage or aftermarket sights.. I have an sbe2 with rr 655 choke shooting fed hvywt 7's. My gun was shooting high and to the left so I swapped the shim and now my pattern is all centered up, however still to the left.. elevation is good just need windage adjustments.. is there any shim or anything I can use to bring it to the right and center it up?

Farmboy27

Don't get me started!! LOL!  My sbe2 had a faulty barrel causing the poi problems.  You can look at another thread to find out about that.(I'm sure every one else is sick of hearing about it by now!!)  I hope you get it figured out because they really are sweet handling guns. 

dirt road ninja

A gunsmith can bend the barrel to correct it. I'm not aware of a shim for left to right.

PineyRooster

thanks for the replys... another load may even center up I don't know. im just kind of stuck on these hard hitting 7's.. its not horribly off center just enough to aggravate me really

dirt road ninja

I doubt another load will correct windage problems. Put a set of clamp on sight on it and get it centered up.

Bird Buster

I feel your pain was just asking about shims last month I fixed my elevation but I'm about 4-6" right with a Indian creek

jed clampett

I have a sbe 2 and had to put truglo adj. Sights on it...it shot a foot to the left but like the adj. Sights for the close shots

Farmboy27

Another option (although more costly) is to add a red dot sight.  I've always rather used twin beads but last year used a burris fastfire 3 on my sbe2 that was shooting 8" left.  I found I actually kinda liked the sight.  My only hangup is I hate relying on anything with batteries on my gun.  But depending on your own preference, it's a another option.

PineyRooster

i have a ff3 i used on an 870 last year.. what base did you use for it on your sbe2?

Strick9

Its likely the magazine tube ring alignment on your barrel. I purchased a 24" barrel for my SBEII from midwest and it was about 8 inches left.. I inquired with Rob Roberts about it , he said send it back. I did with no problem from Midwest. Next barrel was dead on..
LowCountryWildlifeManagement
Knowing Wildlife beyond Science
Genesis 9;2

Farmboy27

I used a weaver single base. Not sure of the number but think they are the same ones as a remington 7600-7400. Think I payed around 10 bucks at cabelas.

SumToy

few things.  try different choke to see.  i have seen that do it sometimes.    now you have a few ways to fix the problem with the gun.   one the barrel threads ton to the back receiver  top. (one problem)   the other that affects all guns is the shell tube can be off.   
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

PineyRooster

those are a few things I hadn't really thought about.. makes a lot of sense tho.. I shot some 3.5" longbeard 5s today and was surprised to see that my pattern was perfect.. these things leave me shaking my head at times, got to say im happy tho. just wish the hvywts would've worked out

Longshanks

Take your stock chokes for the shotgun and run through those to see if your barrel is actually off. I have had several Berettas that once you put the tightly constricted turkey chokes in the gun it would change the POA/POI. Have seen them shoot fine with lead and then go off with HTL. The wadding has allot to do with this. I wouldn't be bending the barrel until you go through this process. You could be bending your barrel to accommodate one choke. Unfortunately the only way I have been able to center these guns is with aftermarket sights which isn't a bad thing. Shooting rifle sights helps allot as these gun/ choke/ shell combinations shoot very tight up close.

Mallards Only

To clear up some misconceptions/fallacies in this thread, if you are shooting your gun off a bench/rest and looking straight down the rib with the bead centered, no amount of shimming will change your POI.  Shims are designed to change the way your barrel is inclined when you shoulder your gun while wingshooting.  It won't do anything if you are shooting your gun like a rifle from a rest any more than changing a stock on rifle would without adjusting the scope.  Now, if your POI is different than POA when rapidly shouldering your gun and firing at a target as you would when wingshooting, using the supplied plates/shims will slightly change your POI as it changes your barrel/receiver inclination relative to your stock and eye.  Benellis notoriously shoot a little high in my experience and my M2 turkey gun also shoots a little left.  The only way I was able to correct this is with a red dot sight(Burris FF).  If you are using the gun for wingshooting and there is a left/right deviation in the POI and the supplied plates do not create enough correction, one can further change the cast by adding tape or extra shimming to one side of the stock where it fits to the receiver.  I've done this before with tape and/or a piece of aluminum cut from a soda can.