turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Federal Heviweight 5's

Started by Eview326, March 02, 2016, 02:47:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eview326

I found a box, I'm assuming old stock, of 3" federal Heviweight 5's on a local stores shelves. I don't think these are being made anymore. I was thinking they'd make a decent load for later in the season when we can hunt all day here and have a good possibility of shooting a coyote while turkey hunting.

Anybody have experience with this load?

BandedSpur

Great coyote load, not so much for turkeys. Way too much penetration at the expense of pattern density. Not nearly enough pellets in that load.

Gobble!

Quote from: BandedSpur on March 02, 2016, 07:57:27 AM
Great coyote load, not so much for turkeys. Way too much penetration at the expense of pattern density. Not nearly enough pellets in that load.

x2

dirt road ninja

Quote from: Gobble! on March 02, 2016, 10:23:26 AM
Quote from: BandedSpur on March 02, 2016, 07:57:27 AM

x2

X3 - Would be good for body shooting or yotes.

Farmboy27

I killed a few birds with hvywt 5s not long after they came out.  They worked fine but as everyone has said they're  not really needed.  IMO there is no reason to shot anything bigger than 6s in any HTL load. I did have good luck with them on fox.  Don't think I tried them on any coyotes

Izzyjoe

I think those would hammer a coyote.

Oconeeguy

Found a box of 10 couple years ago for $20+ . Figured I would use them as the second shell in case I missed or wounded on the first shot and it was running away.

Borden811

Quote from: Izzyjoe on March 02, 2016, 08:50:25 PM
I think those would hammer a coyote.

Heck, you could probably kill an elephant with heavyweight 5s!

Yoder409

Probably have about the same terminal performance as lead 2's, I'd think.    :z-dizzy:
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Philippe

Eview326

Quote from: Philippe on March 03, 2016, 08:41:25 PM
They work well on geese!

Didn't think of that! I'll pick them up just to have next time I'm there. Be a good red fox/yote load to use at night at the very least.

jordanz7935

Quote from: Philippe on March 03, 2016, 08:41:25 PM
They work well on geese!
X2 Me and a buddy shot a few geese with the HW 3" 6s this fall. It absolutely crushed them @ around 40 yds. I will be picking some #5s up here soon if the snow geese show up here again this year!

mightyjoeyoung

Still have a bunch of 3.5" hw 5s.  Used a couple on turkey the first year they came out, but since have taken two coyotes, one at 20 yrds and one at 58.  Both were head shots and both were D.R.T.  As for geese?  Those loads will kill big honkers at ridiculously long range and make them look like they had the wind sucked out from beneath their wings!  Complete pass throughs inside 40 yards too...
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

TauntoHawk

Quote from: Oconeeguy on March 02, 2016, 10:10:11 PM
Found a box of 10 couple years ago for $20+ . Figured I would use them as the second shell in case I missed or wounded on the first shot and it was running away.

They would probably work pretty well as a back up shell in the IF NEEDED scenario happened
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

owlhoot

Quote from: TauntoHawk on March 07, 2016, 11:05:55 AM
Quote from: Oconeeguy on March 02, 2016, 10:10:11 PM

They would probably work pretty well as a back up shell in the IF NEEDED scenario happened
i think they would bust up some bones on a follow up of a wounded tom, running or flying.