OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

My Plan

Started by dawei, February 28, 2016, 02:11:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dawei

I have now acquired 20 rounds of Hevi•Shot® Triple Beard™ Pb, and 10 rounds of Federal Premium® 3rd Degree™ Pb/W. I'm going to our local Cabelas® tomorrow and get 10 more rounds of the 3rd Degree.

I bought the Triple Beard™ at Mack's Prairie Wings for $17.99 for 10 rounds. Cabelas® sells the 3rd Degree™ for the same price for 5 rounds. Cabelas® now has the Triple Beard™ and it's cheaper than MPW at $15.99 (I do save 5% off list price Cabelas® with my military discount.)

I plan to pattern this ammunition through three 20ga guns with eight choke combinations. Specifically...
• NEF® Ladies (Wife's Gun) 22" barrel Single Shot with a fixed Mod choke of .597" (2003 mfg.)
• Remington® SPR220 (Baikal® IZH43) 26" barrel SxS (2007 mfg.) through two Colonial® Extended Turkey chokes; a .575" Extra Full and .570" Super Full.
• Mossberg® Mdl 500C 26" barrel pump (2000 mfg.) through the following chokes...
   * Carlson's® Flush Fit .590" Full
   * Carlson's® Flush Fit .585" Extra Full
   * Carlson's® Flush Fit .575" Super Full
   * Hastings® Extended Turkey Choke .570" Nonported
   * Wrights® SWARM™ .555" Nonported

My plan is to fire the first round at 30yds. If I get a good acceptable pattern through that particular gun and choke combination, I will then try another shot at 35-40yds (depending in what the voices in my head tell me.) Obviously if I don't get a good pattern at 30yds I'm not going to waste another shot at greater distance. I will shoot from a sitting position and further use shooting sticks to be as stable as possible.

I will post what I feel are the good patterns in this forum for 3rd Degree®. As the Triple Beard™ is all Pb I'll post those patterns in the Lead Shooters Section.

The Hevi•Shot® Triple Beard™ contains 1¼oz of shot at 1300fps. The Federal Premium® 3rd Degree contains 1 7/16oz shot at 1100fps.

As soon as I get a day with little wind and 60°F temperature I will start this project.

Stay tuned...

David

Only two defining forces ever died for you.
1. Jesus Christ.
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, and Marine.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

Greg Massey

I would start off at 20 yards to get my POI down and go from that point out to 40 yards. i want it tight as possible for that reason..POI..see were the pattern is going...

TrackeySauresRex

Thank You dawei. I can't wait to see the results.  :blob10: Good luck.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

deadbuck

You and that gun are both going to need some Gatorade when you get through!!!!

Izzyjoe

Can't wait to see how this pans out!

longislandloco

Good Luck David, could you please post your results on Marlinowners also, bet lot of the guys there would love to see this.
"A man ought to have a good shotgun, needn't be an expensive shotgun, just a good shotgun".....Old Moe

dawei

Quote from: longislandloco on March 01, 2016, 09:26:48 PM
Good Luck David, could you please post your results on Marlinowners also, bet lot of the guys there would love to see this.
Will do.

David

Only two defining forces ever died for you.
1. Jesus Christ.
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, and Marine.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given