Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

New 870 youth 20 gauge range trip.

Started by Cleveland48, February 28, 2016, 12:11:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cleveland48

I understand, I had 7 boxes but one got wet soaked in my vest when the garage flooded, I tried one out of it and it honestly was beat by lead 4's lol. I gave one box to a buddy who is using my other 20 gauge this year. So I got prolly 4 left also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

357MAGNOLE

Well I already shot trough two boxes with my initial sight in and choke pattern testing. I used 3 chokes, that was 6 shots alone just doing one from 25 and one from 40 for each choke.  Then I also used a few more rounds at 40 on the Carlsons .575 choke to see if the patterns where consistent.  Which they where I had a 143, 149 and 157.  I also had a 114 which was on a dirty barrel, I did not clean barrels between shots when I got that 114. 

I do want to make sure my gun is sighted in for 15-30-40 yards though. I made my targets up since my last post. I am going to make 4 shots at 15 (if that's what it takes to hit the orange sticker) then 2 shots at 20, 2 at 30, 2 at 40... Of course that's only if it takes that many shots to dial it in.  Fine tuning "Should" happen between the 30 and 40 yard shots. That is of course if I don't discover that the flitecontrol wad causes movement between each shot. I had that issue with long beards before, but it was pretty drastic.  A couple inches in each direction is not a big deal, but when your pattern shifts 8+ inches in any given direction that's a recipe for disaster.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

Cleveland48

I hate setting shotgun scopes I really do. It drives me mad, but the lead sled definitely helps as far as not pulling the shot goes. I just hate looking at patterns for center then trying to move scope. So much easier with a rifle lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

357MAGNOLE

For me the 20 gauge is really nothing for sighting in. What pisses me off is that little shift here and there and trying to figure out where the most dense portion of the pattern is lol. That is what drives me insane.

Over the last hour I have been pondering this exact issue. I decided to take a somewhat scientific but not exactly perfectly precise means of making adjustments to the scope. I am about to go total nerd on everyone in here lol.

So basically I measured my most dense portion with a round object (roughly 5") Then I used that same round object and centered it over my POA.  I then used a ruler to roughly draw intersecting lines in the middle both horizontal and vertical.  Compared the lines and took measurements accross.  Determined I needed to move my POI 1" left and 1/2" up. 

Check this out....  :TooFunny: I am probably looking like a damn fool doing this.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson