turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New 870 youth 20 gauge range trip.

Started by Cleveland48, February 28, 2016, 12:11:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cleveland48

Finally got to shoot my new youth 20 gauge today. Got the scope semi dialed in, it's still just a tad high. I patterned it at 40 after about 5 shells and wasn't as good as I hoped. The first two had 130-140 in them. Saw the barrel was filthy ( I forgot how nasty those federal HW 7's are. Cleaned the barrel real good and shot one more group, and was very happy with the last group of the day. Will try to shoot some more soon it was getting dark on me today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

357MAGNOLE

176 is pretty damn good.

I should take my (identical setup) rig back out with perfectly clean barrel and get one good shot in and see what I have. When I did my count, I had already made about 15 shots.... Cleaned in between, but only a quick swab down the barrel and back. Not a full bristle brush with bore cleaner and then swab. 

Question... What was the Lot number on that box of HW's?

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

Cleveland48

When I get a chance I'm gonna shoot some more to see if it wasn't a fluke. I have a 870 with 26" barrel that will put mid 150's at 40 yards consistently with a Hastings .566  my lot # are PHT258F7

357MAGNOLE

Thats not the lot number, thats the model number for the shell.

Take the box, looking at the front cover.  I believe it is the tab on the left side that closes up the left end of the box.  On the inside of either that tab, or the opposite side tab there is a printed code. That is your lot number.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

owlhoot

very nice pattern , it will slam them   :OGturkeyhead:

Cleveland48

Quote from: 357MAGNOLE on February 28, 2016, 12:38:09 AM
Thats not the lot number, thats the model number for the shell.

Take the box, looking at the front cover.  I believe it is the tab on the left side that closes up the left end of the box.  On the inside of either that tab, or the opposite side tab there is a printed code. That is your lot number.
that is the only number on the left and right tab ?

Cleveland48

Is it one of these?

Tom Foolery

357MAGNOLE

Cleveland48

Ohhh lol my bad it is 5U37UG329

TrackeySauresRex

"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Cleveland48

Anyone think I need to adjust the scope down some more, or leave it there for aiming at the waddles?

357MAGNOLE

Depends. Is it high at 20-25? Mine at 25 is a little high and left by a hair, then at 40 a little low and right lol. So it's good for me as it sits as both shots will kill at their respective distances

Cleveland48

I need to check it at 20 again to make sure. It was a rushed job was getting dark on me   

357MAGNOLE

Yeah I hear you.  I only had about a hour to sight mine in and try to pattern some different shells. I am going to go back and try to sight it in at 10 yards to knock out a golf ball sized chunk where I am aiming. Then walk back to 20 and make sure its still on, then 30, then 40.  I want to make sure I can hit up close, and from 40.... It wouldnt make sense for the pattern to be cork screwing in the air or anything. So maybe on one of my shots I pulled it a touch.  Does not make sense that one would be high left then next low right.

I have 4 boxes of Heavy weights. Might take a few shots to dial it back in but I don't want to waste to much.