OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

? about wood for strikers.

Started by born2hunt, February 27, 2016, 12:14:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

born2hunt

I dont know much about wood working but I enjoy tinkering. I have whittled some strikers from different wood types I harvested and dried. Some sound good and I hunt with them and some not. I know that the blanks call makers use for turning are from milled lumber but is there a disadvantage with using just limbs. Is the wood density that much different from say a board cut from a large hickory log vs just a 3 inch limb from the same tree.
I hope I explained myself well enough, I'm just trying to avoid wasting time with wood that has no potential for the intended use.

Thanks. 
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

mastevt

The hardness, or softness of the wood used to make a striker, plays a huge part in the sound of the call.
soft woods will give softer sounds, where hard denser woods will give you higher pitched sounds.  Length of the peg also effects this sound.  So does the weight of the handle.  It's all about the sound vibrations traveling up thru the striker and back down to the call surface, and transferred to the soundboard.  Hope this helps.

outdoors

It's all about the sound vibrations traveling up thru the striker and back down to the call surface, and transferred to the soundboard.   :morning:
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Rick Howard

The only disadvantage to using a limp, that I can see, is that it will be more difficult to find stock that is big enough without containing the pith.  Making it more prone to checking and warping while it dries.

born2hunt

Quote from: Rick Howard on February 27, 2016, 09:19:35 AM
The only disadvantage to using a limp, that I can see, is that it will be more difficult to find stock that is big enough without containing the pith.  Making it more prone to checking and warping while it dries.

I guess thats kinda what I was wondering. I realize how the mechanics of a striker play into the sound. I just got to wondering that with the wood from the trunk of a tree being older growth than the limbs, would it be superior.
I myself think it would but I'm just not sure. 
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

Rick Howard

Sure the wood in the trunk may be a little denser or have tighter growth rings, but that may not translate to a better striker.  A nice thing about making strikers, and frustrating part, is that you never really know what your going to get till you make it.  You will have some idea but 100% certainty only happens after you make it.  Each striker will be somewhat unique no matter which wood it's made from for many reasons, even if you hold strict tolerances on dimensions.  Sometimes these differences may be too subtle to notice.  So.. Use what you can get ahold of.  If it's seasoned well than it's worth the effort in my opinion.

I think this is one, of many, reasons why dymondwood is so nice for strikers.  Because it's less wood than glue it's pretty consistent material. 

born2hunt

Rick Howard

pappy

another thing about striker quality is overall dimensions from the tip to the bell...get too big your dead in the water get too small and you'll squeal like a pig...finding wood in branches that is large enough with good enough and straight enough graining is hard with smaller limbs, but say you are cutting osage or hickory, these limbs seem to be fine, but, if you are cutting something like walnut or cedar for softer subtle sounds the pith area would definitely effect the striker....me, I prefer to use wood that has been cut from larger diameter logs because this gives me more choice..
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

mauser06

I've done the same in the past...

Incline the pith is often the problem when using small branches...

I started using logs...I'd use  maul and get the log cracked and work from there...

I made some make shift wedges to work pieces into a smaller blank...then a knife and Sanders etc to shape it...

I found it pretty enjoyable while sitting around the campfire...