Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

what hunting show host that you find annoying.

Started by hs strut, February 23, 2016, 02:47:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbecnel

A lot of Wildgame haters..................ME TOO :agreed:

tha bugman

Quote from: LI Outdoorsman on February 23, 2016, 08:21:43 AM
The early videos of Primos "The Truth" series on VHS...Those videos got me pumped and if u listened and watched carefully you actually learned things "Called too much and called too loud!"..they seemed the closest to the real deal and for the most part their TV shows have carried on that same real feel. Mossy Oak's Hunting the country was one of the first outdoor shows carried here on LI and I still enjoy they way they portray the outdoor lifestyle..What I'm saying is I guess a Mississippi spring turkey hunt with Will and Ronnie would be dream trip for sure... so I guess those guys are doing their job!
Amen! :you_rock:

jwhunter

Bracket is the worst and the Busbice group is 2nd!

I only like Primos and Mossy Oak turkey hunting shows, cant watch anybody deer hunt anymore on tv.

I like the Mossy oak Gamekeepers show on Land Management

I mostly watch Traditional bowhunting videos on Youtube.

Swather

Eddie Salter is about the only one I actually do care to watch, I've spoken to him enough in real life to have some rapport and know who/what he is.

The whole concept pretty much sucks, a show is about 10 minutes of hunting related material and 20 minutes of advertising, whether produced ads or live reads/plugs during the "show."

The business model sucks too, they have to produce a show, line up all the sponsors, get review and approval from the network, and buy time from Outdoor, Sportsman, Pursuit, etc. to show it.  That is why a show looks like one big infomercial and commercial combined in one.  The network has its own checklist of things they believe a show needs, like editing in some hard rock music at lower volume to make it sensational. 

Michael Waddell is such a buddy stabbing, adultering piece of fecal material I have a hard time tolerating him or his Realtree buddies.  If you don't know about it, he is on his third wife, and this one is Christy Womack.  She is the former wife of his hunting buddy and cameraman.  He was last married to Melissa Snipes of Columbus, GA, whom is related to the attorneys at Snipes & Snipes.  I hope they took him for a good lick in that divorce.

I cannot get over how the rednecks line up at the NWTF show in Nashville to buy that cheesie Bone Collector crap and to get pictures with him.  I'd rather pay to stand in line to see a dentist than him.

The Busbice/Wildgame show personalities and material are pretty bad too.  Do they make and sell anything that is not a piece of crap? 

wvboy

I can't stand Uncle Ted ... Wild Game and Brackett are a close second though..
RB .. Take me Home Country Roads

MK M GOBL

Sounds like a lot of what I hear down to the store, a general dislike to this part of the industry. I remember a survey out there about how you make buying decisions on your outdoor hunting products and 1st was from friends/family, 2nd was from sites like this.... dead last yup "Outdoor Show Host".
Not to get off topic but...I get a lot of "So what do you use?" questions down at the store and I am only loyal to what works for me, don't care the brand who made it but will tell customer who this product was made by, and of course I could never use all the equipment out there. Won't say that I am not brand loyal but that is by the specific product we are talking about at the time. I am not sponsored by anyone so as to have to tell you that all of the products "we" produce are the best, I have the unique opportunity to use and advise products based on my experiences. We all have that list of products we spent our hard earned dollars on and didn't live up to it's hype...

and by the way I do like the old VHS Primos Truth About Turkey Hunting Series.

MK M GOBL

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: Swather on February 23, 2016, 10:46:14 AM
Eddie Salter is about the only one I actually do care to watch, I've spoken to him enough in real life to have some rapport and know who/what he is.

The whole concept pretty much sucks, a show is about 10 minutes of hunting related material and 20 minutes of advertising, whether produced ads or live reads/plugs during the "show."

The business model sucks too, they have to produce a show, line up all the sponsors, get review and approval from the network, and buy time from Outdoor, Sportsman, Pursuit, etc. to show it.  That is why a show looks like one big infomercial and commercial combined in one.  The network has its own checklist of things they believe a show needs, like editing in some hard rock music at lower volume to make it sensational. 

Michael Waddell is such a buddy stabbing, adultering piece of fecal material I have a hard time tolerating him or his Realtree buddies.  If you don't know about it, he is on his third wife, and this one is Christy Womack.  She is the former wife of his hunting buddy and cameraman.  He was last married to Melissa Snipes of Columbus, GA, whom is related to the attorneys at Snipes & Snipes.  I hope they took him for a good lick in that divorce.

I cannot get over how the rednecks line up at the NWTF show in Nashville to buy that cheesie Bone Collector crap and to get pictures with him.  I'd rather pay to stand in line to see a dentist than him.

The Busbice/Wildgame show personalities and material are pretty bad too.  Do they make and sell anything that is not a piece of crap?
this I can agree with 100 percent!!
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

born2hunt

Meat Eater and On your own adventures are the 2 I like the best, a lot of real boots on the ground  public land hunting like I like.
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

crow

Quote from: OldSchool on February 23, 2016, 06:20:24 AM
The ones that at times don't kill a bird outright, then hold it up for the camera and talk about the hunt for five minutes while it hangs there looking around. Things don't always go the way we'd like, but I was brought up to follow through with what I started as quickly and humanely as possible.

Bob
^
this is spot on, the lack of respect for the game animals on most of these shows is bad

Swather

The shows are counterfeit because they go back and edit in so much, like conversations about an approaching bird, and they add a lot more calling, often showing them with the plastic commodity they are trying to sell.  The way turkey hunting shows are put together will all the profuse calling often goes against everything taught in turkey hunting. 

I also don't like all the running with loaded shotguns, that goes against good gun safety.  I saw a friend do something stupid 3-4 years ago on a dove field, running after a downed bird with a loaded shotgun. He did not turn off the safety, he kept his finger on the safety, he tripped and fell forward and fired the gun with a long shot string across the ground.  It scared the crap out of some shooters just down range from him, and he chastised himself pretty badly for it because he knew at his age a man should not do commit such foolishness.

stinkpickle

LOL!  I turn off shows that annoy me, and sometimes I don't even look to see the show's name.  And yes, I agree, two such shows had Brackett or Busbice.  I wasn't sure if those shows were spoofs, or not.  At least with Jimmy Big Time, I knew what I was getting.   ;)

Mike Honcho

In my opinion the shows have gotten so bad, so unrealistic that I have pretty much quit watching them....like Turkey Reaping videos for example.

I blame the shows for attracting the wrong type of people to hunting...I think the tv shows have really ruined deer hunting especially...attracting big money people and outfitters leasing up much of the ground that hard working people at one time had a chance to hunt. 

I am fortunate that I own land to hunt so I am not personally greatly affected by this but I know many people it has affected.

Just my .02

GomerPyle

I haven't read the entire thread so maybe he's already been mentioned, but Chad Belding HAS to be the biggest douche of them all..../thread.

[From a buddy re: turkey hunting]
"the best advice I can give you is to run from it like it's crystal meth"

Rick Howard

I'm pretty much annoyed with all hunting videos.  I have not watched a ton, however, I have watched enough.  Each time I watch I am hoping for a learning experience.  So far all I have learned is which EXTREME equipment I should buy. 

Please don't get me wrong.  I am all for the economics.  I am happy for people who can make a lot of money.  I think product placement in videos is a great way of advertising but I think it has gone too far.  A video can be both a commercial and a learning tool of value.  I would love to watch a video that explains why a hunter is doing what they are doing.  Instead we get "Look at me decoy driving him nuts.  That old boy decoy is the bomb! And my super duper choke took its head clean off."  Not one mention of why they setup where they did.  Not one mention of why they chose the sounds they chose and the amount they played them... Just Gobble, cut to bird coming, cut to bird shot, praise product, then next scene starts this same cycle.     

Want evidence to validate?  Look at the questions new hunters are asking on forums.  What choke?  What decoy?  What call?  What gun?  What vest?  What camo?  What blind? Etc.  I have no problem with any of those product.  My point is...  I rarely see the question "How do I know if that gobbler wants to hear me call a lot or a little?"  "How can I use the terrain to may advantage?"  or anything along those lines.  In my mind the reason for this is the hunters first source of information, a video.  From there they gain the perspective of a product placed in their brain and necessity.

I have been coyote calling in NY since 1997.  I have witnessed this same thing in that sport.  It drives me crazy that I have to compete with people educating those fast learning critters because they were misinformed by their first exposure... a video.

kyturkeyhunter4

It's got to be Driven With Pat And Nicole Reeves just listening to those to talk kills me. It's like pulling teeth for me.