OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Another one bites the dust (IC BDS)

Started by mcgruff1533, March 30, 2011, 04:36:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkey_slayer

Im curious how plastic can destroy steel?  Honestly, I would like to know this  ???

surehuntsalot

Quote from: turkey_slayer on March 30, 2011, 10:24:26 PM
Im curious how plastic can destroy steel?  Honestly, I would like to know this  ???

the wad did not destroy the choke(plastic does not damage steel)
the wad had nothing to do with it,the choke was defective to start with
you're paying 50.00 to 80.00 for a choke that plastic can destroy,I don't think so
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteIm curious how plastic can destroy steel?

It's the sudden pressure created at the moment the .730 solid FC wad full of pellets hits the .065 constriction down to the .665 exit diameter.  Ports create weakness, period.  Huge ports create greater weakness.  Fine shooting chokes though.    

msgobblergetter

Quote from: surehuntsalot on March 30, 2011, 10:38:16 PM
Im curious how plastic can destroy steel?  Honestly, I would like to know this  ???

you're paying 50.00 to 80.00 for a choke that plastic can destroy,I don't think so

I agree, plastic destroying metal? not the problem.  However, defective choke? I'm not seeing that either considering the evidence.  Looking back on the damaged IC chokes shown here on OG and the few I've seen on another forum, all of them have broken or split in the same general area.  Weakness of design gets my vote.  I like IC performance, but I'm growing very weary of it's strength.  I love turkey hunting, shooting and such, but when safety becomes a potential issue... Changes are in order.  If IC feels replacing chokes with stainless steal versions, Great! Hope it cures the problem.

savduck

I dont think it is the IC design. They have been around enough years and 1000s of rounds through that design to prove it. I myself have one with a couple hundred rounds through it. no issues.

It is more than likely a bad batch of steel in a more recent run of chokes.

And about the comment about paying high dollar for a product and not being able to use it the way you want. If you buy a new truck and it says unleaded only, you dont go running diesel through it do you? Why wouldnt chokes be the same. The maker of the choke says what you can and cant do with it for a reason.
Georgia Boy

msgobblergetter

Quote from: savduck on March 30, 2011, 11:18:42 PM
I dont think it is the IC design. They have been around enough years and 1000s of rounds through that design to prove it. I myself have one with a couple hundred rounds through it. no issues.

It is more than likely a bad batch of steel in a more recent run of chokes.

And about the comment about paying high dollar for a product and not being able to use it the way you want. If you buy a new truck and it says unleaded only, you dont go running diesel through it do you? Why wouldnt chokes be the same. The maker of the choke says what you can and cant do with it for a reason.

Yep, I copied this direct from IC's site...
"The Strike will accommodate all lead, steel and hybrid heavy loads with shot sizes from #2 through #8."

" **DO NOT USE FEDERAL FLIGHT CONTROL Heavy Loads.  Manufacturer does not recommend use with Ported Choke Tubes such as the Black Diamond Strike.**"

Note the highlighted... Shot sizes and the section about the manufacturer (federal) not recommending using flight control heavy loads with ported chokes... IC has not made a public stance themselves about not shooting flight control wads.

I'll buy the bad batch of steal possibility though. That could very well be the case.

titansfan2104

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on March 30, 2011, 09:18:00 PM
I will also take up for IC on this one.

They clearly warn about the Flight Control Wad.

IC chokes can accomodate all types of shot. I.E.: lead, hevi-shot, tungsten, etc.  It ain't the shot that ruined your choke.  It's the wad.
I disagree, the they advise against the fc wads because their choke with ports is designed to strip the wad away so it has less effect on patterning.  The fc wads are federals way of trying to make it so the choke doesn't have to strip the wad ,yet the wad will still not effect the pattern. I may be wring but regardless of how hard that wad is the choke is machined steel...

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteYep, I copied this direct from IC's site...
"The Strike will accommodate all lead, steel and hybrid heavy loads with shot sizes from #2 through #8."

On the back of the package that my IC BDS came in, the recommendations were for all turkey loads, shot sizes #4 through #9.  The word "steel" did not appear on the package. 

I emailed Indian Creek about this, and they replied saying that the wording on the packaging was correct.  Turkey loads, shot sizes #4 through #9.  No steel shot.

My IC BDS was purchased at the Bass Pro in Pearl, MS one or two years ago.

VAHUNTER

IC better be standing behind there chokes. if they do not they will be cutting there own throats.

when i buy a turkey choke i expect that choke to hold up to ANY turkey load.
Good things come to those who wait

3" 870 Shell Shucker

"IC better be standing behind there chokes."

So far they've replaced them.  Since they're willing to do that, I'll use mine with total reckless abandon.  H13 and Win Sup HV Lead.

turkey_slayer

Quote from: msgobblergetter on March 30, 2011, 10:59:57 PM
Quote from: surehuntsalot on March 30, 2011, 10:38:16 PM
Im curious how plastic can destroy steel?  Honestly, I would like to know this  ???

I agree, plastic destroying metal? not the problem.  However, defective choke? I'm not seeing that either considering the evidence.  Looking back on the damaged IC chokes shown here on OG and the few I've seen on another forum, all of them have broken or split in the same general area.  Weakness of design gets my vote.  I like IC performance, but I'm growing very weary of it's strength.  I love turkey hunting, shooting and such, but when safety becomes a potential issue... Changes are in order.  If IC feels replacing chokes with stainless steal versions, Great! Hope it cures the problem.

Exactly.  I was hoping no one thought the plastic would destroy the choke.  They must have just had a bad batch of steel cause if I recall the other ones that cracked were not shot with FC's.

shootumindaface

Please see my above link, a member was told by IC it WAS safe to shoot FCW

BigPeck215

it is my understanding that IC is not recommending against the FCW because it may damage their choke, but they are recommending against it because Federal recommends against using ported choke tubes with the FC wad for the best patterns.

i'm sure that you could put 1000 FC rounds through an indian creek choke made out of a good batch of steel and never had a problem, but a choke that was flawed when it was birthed from a bar of steel is likely to fracture from the start

btw the plastic vs steel debate is hilarious 

msgobblergetter

Quote from: BigPeck215 on March 31, 2011, 10:40:50 AM
it is my understanding that IC is not recommending against the FCW because it may damage their choke, but they are recommending against it because Federal recommends against using ported choke tubes with the FC wad for the best patterns.

i'm sure that you could put 1000 FC rounds through an indian creek choke made out of a good batch of steel and never had a problem, but a choke that was flawed when it was birthed from a bar of steel is likely to fracture from the start

btw the plastic vs steel debate is hilarious 

Amen

Mag10

Quote from: 3" 870 Shell Shucker on March 30, 2011, 10:40:24 PM
QuoteIm curious how plastic can destroy steel?

It's the sudden pressure created at the moment the .730 solid FC wad full of pellets hits the .65 constriction down to the .665 exit diameter.  Ports create weakness, period.  Huge ports create greater weakness.  Fine shooting chokes though.    

shell shucker,  Your constriction should read 0.065,  not .65 witch is more than 5/8 of an inch.  Marty