turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Another one bites the dust (IC BDS)

Started by mcgruff1533, March 30, 2011, 04:36:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcgruff1533

The weather finally warmed up enough for some pattern testing and I've been taking full advantage.    Over the past two days, I've fired close to 20 Turkey shells through my Mossberg 535 through 4 different choke tubes.

After reading about the cracking problems with Indian Creek chokes I've been keeping a real close eye on mine after each shot.      Today after firing a Federal Mag Shok 3.5-2-6 lead shell with the flite control wad I noticed a crack near the muzzle end of my Indian Creek BDS #0001 choke.

The total round count through this choke was 10 rounds.

3 field loads 2.75"-1 1/8 ounce of #6 lead.

2 Hevi 13 loads of 3-2-7 (awesome patterns BTW)

5 Federal Mag Shok's 3.5-2-#6

I've already spoke personally with Mike Ponder at Indian Creek and he's been super to deal with.    I explained that my turkey season starts on April 18 and I still have some pattern testing to do.     He told me to send my defective choke in and he will send me a new upgraded Stainless Steel model today.    

While it sucks that my current choke puked with so few rounds through it, I'm happy to see Indian Creek standing behind their product and sending me a new choke without even receiving the bad one.

Well done Indian Creek :thanks:

Here's a couple pic's of the failure which looks pretty typical from what I've already seen this spring.    BTW, my choke was purchased at the Auburn Hills, Michigan Bass Pro Shops retail store on 2/12/11.

trkehunr93

Hate that for you but glad to see IC making it right! 

knightrider

glad they are taking care of you, that is the very reason i went with pure gold i just dont like the idea of the long ports, it looks to me like some of the fairy dust pellets from hevi could could get in between them dont know if they could just a thought

stinkpickle

Them dadgum flight control wads are so bada$$ that they turn Indian Creeks into Indian Cracks, yo!

gatrkyhntr70

<- <- <= <- <- <- <-

mcgruff1533

Quote from: slickyboyboo on March 30, 2011, 04:42:33 PM
They do warn, not to shoot any of the Fed FC Wads with those chokes.

Here's the warning right from their site.

**DO NOT USE FEDERAL FLIGHT CONTROL Heavy Loads.  Manufacturer does not recommend use with Ported Choke Tubes such as the Black Diamond Strike.**

I was shooting plain 'ol copper plated lead.   Not the Federal Heavyweight stuff.

drum817

Quote from: mcgruff1533 on March 30, 2011, 04:36:32 PM

Today after firing a Federal Mag Shok 3.5-2-6 lead shell with the flite control wad

You did state in your first post "flight control wad"....but you are correct that the "MAG SHOK" load does not use the F C wad.
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

mcgruff1533

Not sure if these shells are a non-standard production run or not, but here's what the box says.

Federal Premium
Mag-Shok Lead
12 ga 3-1/2 inches, 2 oz shot, #6 shot

"Featuring Flite Control Wad"

These shells are most definitely NOT Heavyweight's, and they do have the FCW.

Quote from: drum817 on March 30, 2011, 05:33:49 PM

Today after firing a Federal Mag Shok 3.5-2-6 lead shell with the flite control wad

You did state in your first post "flight control wad"....but you are correct that the "MAG SHOK" load does not use the F C wad.

drum817

Quote from: mcgruff1533 on March 30, 2011, 05:42:01 PM
Not sure if these shells are a non-standard production run or not, but here's what the box says.

Federal Premium
Mag-Shok Lead

Then federal must have changed it because the Mag Shok I looked at the other day does not have the F C wad...BUT evidently yours does.   It IS the  F C wad that I C warns against not using.  The shot does not matter but the wad does.

drum817

OH...on a side note....it was the Fed "Strut Shok" that I looked at the other day NOT the "Mag Shok"....sorry for the confussion.

mcgruff1533

I'll stop using Flite Control equipped shells when my new choke arrives.     My SSX choke shoots FCW ammo almost as good as the IC BDS, and there is no danger of splitting that choke at the ports.

Quote from: drum817 on March 30, 2011, 05:48:43 PM
Quote from: mcgruff1533 on March 30, 2011, 05:42:01 PM

Federal Premium
Mag-Shok Lead

Then federal must have changed it because the Mag Shok I looked at the other day does not have the F C wad...BUT evidently yours does.   It IS the  F C wad that I C warns against not using.  The shot does not matter but the wad does.

SumToy

I will take up for IC on this one.   I have posted in the past year about the FCW.  The wad is solid cylinder and hard.  That will not let it give very much.  Now with that The wad is .730 OD that is bigger then the bore of most barrels.  So then you try to run it out of the choke that is 40% to 50% take down that can get bad.   Give you something to try.  Shoot a plain winchester then a federal see what one kicks the hardest. 

Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

VaTuRkStOmPeR

I will also take up for IC on this one.

They clearly warn about the Flight Control Wad.

IC chokes can accomodate all types of shot. I.E.: lead, hevi-shot, tungsten, etc.  It ain't the shot that ruined your choke.  It's the wad.

msgobblergetter

Guys... Believe me, I don't want to start a fuss at all, but I need to speak my mind on this one....
I believe that if you pay premium dollars for a premium turkey choke, this type of results is unacceptable.  Now having said that, It's man made, and its going to break.  Not a matter of how, but when.  I realize this.  

Great customer service helps this situation, but it does not remove the fact that this is a premium turkey choke and a standard turkey load was used during its defection.  Wad issue or not, tolerances in the choke design should allow for this.

Not bashing anybody, just stating my mind.

shootumindaface