OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Choke Quality Control

Started by hawk, March 30, 2011, 04:04:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hawk

Its probably not a big deal as far as hunting but I've found quality control on the chokes I have to be not so good in relation to I.D. Here are the examples, first # is the advertised dia. second # actual micromiter dia.
JH 665 - 663
Rem. Ventilator 655 - 653
Mad Max 2 660 - 658

20ga
Swarm 555 - 552
JH 570 - 567
I do not own a Pure Gold,Indian Creek or Rhino(yet) so don't know if their chokes are what they say they are or not. I guess a couple of thousanths one way or the other is not a big deal just as long as you understand that a given choke may or may not be quite what the packaging says it is. 

allaboutshooting

That's a good question and a very good post.

Most manufactures prints for chokes will allow plus or minus .003 which looks like about what you've found. Tools used to manufacture anything will wear and even with the best CNC machines available today, that's a pretty close tolerance.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

REDMAN

Maybe u should look into a JEBS HEADHUNTER.  I build the chokes and we hold our I.d. to within plus or minus .0005 . Quality has a lot to do with how the choke patterns every dimension is critical.

rev

.003 not that bad , I posted something a few weeks ago on the samething,  I have a carlson that is stamped .675. it mic`s  to .687. to me that`s not even close. I reallywould have to order chokes, mic them and ship them back because of this

mcgruff1533

Quote from: REDMAN on March 30, 2011, 04:27:33 PM
Maybe u should look into a JEBS HEADHUNTER.  I build the chokes and we hold our I.d. to within plus or minus .0005 . Quality has a lot to do with how the choke patterns every dimension is critical.

At $120 for an unproven choke, those Jeb's chokes better guarantee a 70 yard kill on a 5 year old Gobbler with a 12" beard and 3" spurs.

Seriously Redman... are you going to pimp your product every chance you get?  Looks like you (Redman) appeared on Old Gobbler just as soon as Jeb's Chokes stopped posting.   I was actually going to give your product a shot, but I think that ship has sailed.

trkehunr93

Quote from: mcgruff1533 on March 30, 2011, 06:20:36 PM
Quote from: REDMAN on March 30, 2011, 04:27:33 PM

At $120 for an unproven choke, those Jeb's chokes better guarantee a 70 yard kill on a 5 year old Gobbler with a 12" beard and 3" spurs.

Seriously Redman... are you going to pimp your product every chance you get?  Looks like you (Redman) appeared on Old Gobbler just as soon as Jeb's Chokes stopped posting.   I was actually going to give your product a shot, but I think that ship has sailed.

[/quote
If your going to talk the talk then walk the walk.  post some pics of the mysterious HEADHUNTER and what it can do!

trkehunr93

Somehow I posted inside the quote above, don't know how that happened?  Anyhoo......

Like I said, Redman if you are going to talk the talk then walk the walk and produce some pics of the mysterious HEADHUNTER (love the name BTW) and some pattern results

shootumindaface

Quote from: trkehunr93 on March 30, 2011, 07:19:19 PM
Somehow I posted inside the quote above, don't know how that happened?  Anyhoo......

Like I said, Redman if you are going to talk the talk then walk the walk and produce some pics of the mysterious HEADHUNTER (love the name BTW) and some pattern results
I have grown weary of any picture from anyone with a stake at monetary gain.. Its very easy to take a nail and pick up a few extra pellets or shoot at 36 yards and advertise 40 yards..

I have a group of members I look to for credible data..

archery1

I WAS WONDERING WHY THESE JEBS CHOKES DIDNT HAVE ANY PATTERNS FOR THE MOSSBERG 835 OR OTHER GUNS?? DID THEY TEST THEM OUT ON JUST A FEW TYPES OF SHOTGUNS? WHATS THERE RETURN POLICY????????
Take a kid hunting

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: archery1 on March 31, 2011, 01:27:41 AM
I WAS WONDERING WHY THESE JEBS CHOKES DIDNT HAVE ANY PATTERNS FOR THE MOSSBERG 835 OR OTHER GUNS?? DID THEY TEST THEM OUT ON JUST A FEW TYPES OF SHOTGUNS? WHATS THERE RETURN POLICY????????

In order to have a return policy, you have to get shooters and hunters to buy your chokes.  So far, they haven't been doing a very good job of it.   :z-winnersmiley:

gatrkyhntr70

Quote from: shootumindaface on March 30, 2011, 08:18:44 PM

I have grown weary of any picture from anyone with a stake at monetary gain.. Its very easy to take a nail and pick up a few extra pellets or shoot at 36 yards and advertise 40 yards..

Well said ! :agreed:
<- <- <= <- <- <- <-

davisd9

Put up or shut up.  Want to sell chokes?  Offer a few people on here a discounted price, and I mean a really good discounted price, and let them try it.  They will be honest in their results.  You want to sell this things then you need some shooters to prove your worth.  If you do it then there is speculation that your yardage may not be true.  Let someone that is credible and honest do a few test and then get the word out.  Might make a few sales, but I will not pay $120 - $150 for a choke when I can buy one for $25-75 that is a proven killer and proven with great numbers.  You want someone honest and that is credible then give allaboutshooting (Mr. Clark) a choke and let him test it.  I will listen to him and know he is being honest.  Never met the man or even talked to him one on one here, but by reading his post I can tell he is fair and honest.  Until then expect not to sell many chokes.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

davisd9

By the way I am headed to the woods tomorrow with a $25 choke that is a proven killer, a Star Dot.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

trkehunr93

Quote from: shootumindaface on March 30, 2011, 08:18:44 PM

Good point!!  Didn't think about that.

surehuntsalot

there is no way in you know where that I would ever pay 100.00-120.00 for a frigging choke tube
I don't care how many holes it put in a piece of paper
it's not the harvest,it's the chase