turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Remington v 3

Started by mullo16, February 21, 2016, 05:03:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mullo16

Hey guys anybody tried out Remingtons new v3 shotgun. Been trying to find one for a while but no luck. I've been to every gun shop around my area along with cabelas, bass pro, dicks, gander mtn but no one has one or even knows when they will get it.  Just wondering if it's as good as they say it's going to be. Was wondering what kind of patterns it can throw

darron

Here's my thing...for a $1,000 I am not buying a remington. I have a buddy who spent $1300 on a waterfowl version versa max and for that money he could have bought a sbe.

JMO, but anyone who would spend a grand or more on a remington needs their head checked. There are better guns out there for that type of money. I like remingtons, I own several 870 and 1187. However I refuse to spend over $600 on a remington. Anymore than that I will buy a scatter that starts with a "B". 

Longshanks

This is something that I came to the conclusion many years ago. The price of Remington automatic shotguns was going up and I started looking at getting the most for my money. Numerous shotgun ranges that I traveled to used one shotgun. Beretta. They said that over the years they see the least problems with these shotguns as long as they are cleaned frequently. That told me allot. I've never had problems with my Remington or Beretta shotguns but when I am going to pay for new shotgun..Beretta is going to be the choice. I'm sure Benelli shotguns are fantastic but at the time I was researching all of this the gunsmiths locally had allot of Benelli shotguns in for repair and hardly any Berettas. There was some problem with the Black Eagles at the time and they all had to be repaired and then supposedly fine after that. I was scratching my head that a 1400.00 shotgun would fail that frequently. I'm sure all of the bugs are out of the gun now but it was enough for me to put my confidence in Beretta. Everyone has a favorite gun but this was the process that made me choose.

FL-Boss

I waited and waited for the new V3 last year... but it keeps getting delayed?  It was supposed to be available 6 months ago.  Anyway.. I got tired of waiting and just got a Weatherby SA-08. It's a real nice auto loader for a lot less.
(already have another Weatherby SA-459 as a dedicated turkey gun - so I knew what I was getting)

The V3 is supposed to be much improved over the other Remington autos...and I'm sure it will be a nice gun, it you can ever get one. 

taylorjones20

Quote from: darron on February 22, 2016, 08:17:32 AM
Here's my thing...for a $1,000 I am not buying a remington. I have a buddy who spent $1300 on a waterfowl version versa max and for that money he could have bought a sbe.

JMO, but anyone who would spend a grand or more on a remington needs their head checked. There are better guns out there for that type of money. I like remingtons, I own several 870 and 1187. However I refuse to spend over $600 on a remington. Anymore than that I will buy a scatter that starts with a "B".

X2
Alive only by the Grace Of God

allaboutshooting

I received notice the other day that those guns are now being shipped to dealers.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

forcercon1

The Black 26" & 28" are available along with the 28" Camo. The Black is running around $655 and the cheapest Camo I found was $726. Check slickguns.com

Black code 83400 and camo is 83406.

I have a camo version arriving the first of next week. I can give a overview after it is received if desired.

BTW, I have a Versa Max that is over 3 years old and not a single issue..... Shoots POA / POI, goes bang each time and no other problems. Just to let you know I'm a fan of a quality gun, not a single maker as I own a Maxus, A5, A400 Xtreme, Xtrema 2, SBE & SBE2. 

mullo16

Would definitely like an overview of the camo one.  I gave up and bought a winchester sxp and love it. But still would like to know for future reference.  Always needing a new turkey gun. Thanks for the info 

forcercon1

The gun I ordered was shipped Wed., I should be able to pick up Monday. I can give a general description of the gun, and give a more in depth the following Saturday when I get a chance to test it out.

forcercon1

The Remington V3 Field Sport in Blades, #83406, arrived today. The fit and finish of the gun is excellent. The forearm is tight & all 3 chokes (F, M & IC) screwed in and out of the barrel with no issue. The chokes were snug, not tight, and did not have any play in them. The gun cleaned up easily. The general take down was quick and simple. The versa-port rods took a little longer to get out in relation to that of a Versa Max, but only by a few minutes.

The gun dry cycled nicely. I picked the gun up after 5PM and was not able to shoot it. The action cycled smoothly & clean. The forcing cones were smooth and the barrel did not show any tool markings. The trigger broke crisply and compared in weight, if not less, than that of a Beretta A400 Xtreme. The magazine cut-off worked properly and is a great addition to the Remington line.

I hope to get out later this week to run a few rounds through the gun. 

mullo16

NICE.   keep us posted on how it shoots .  Would like to know how recoil is shooting magnums. Thanks for the info

forcercon1

I was able to get out and run a few rounds through the V3 today. I shot each choke (F, M & IC) with 2 3/4" 8's, 7's, 6's and 3" 00 Buckshot. Each patterned POA / POI with decent patterns for factory chokes. I also shot one 3" Winchester #5 Longbeard & a 3" Federal #6 turkey round. I shot the Longbeard & Federal with a borrowed Primos Jellyhead choke. The Longbeard put a # of 169 at a ranged 40 yards. The pattern was decently dense. I did not count the Federal as it was poor, but good enough to kill a bird at 40 yards. The POA / POI was also good using the Jellyhead choke.

The gun cycled all the rounds well and the recoil was very little from the 2 3/4" shells. I would compare the recoil on the 3" shells to that of a 3 1/2" shell through my Versa Max. You feel the recoil but it is very manageable.   

forcercon1

Another update on the V3. I picked up a Carlsons LB choke from Basspro to try a few rounds. The gun continues to shoot POA / POI with all loads. I tried a 3" #5 longbeard and got a count of 193 at a measured 40 yards. The count might have been slightly higher as some looked to have had 2 pellets in or around the same hole. The pattern was very dense, almost too dense for my liking. This gun has performed well to this point with about 200 rounds fired.     

Dr Juice

You got a winner there. I wish my SX2 was throwing those numbers. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mullo16

Thanks for the info.  Sounds like a great gun.  Has gotten me very interested again.  Great numbers too