OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Best way to clean a turkey choke

Started by RiverRoost, February 17, 2016, 06:26:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RiverRoost

I did some work getting my poa/poi correct today and was shooting some dove loads and some kent turkey loads. What's the best way to clean my rhino choke up to get ready to pattern my actual hunting shells. Thanks

soky

I recently deep cleaned my bore per Clark's (allaboutshooting)'s instruction and I used the same method to clean my choke afterwards. I applied hoppes #9 bore cleaner solvent liberally as I used the copper barrel brush to scrub the inside of the choke for 3-5 minutes. After I felt the choke was scrubbed adequately I used a cotton swab that I bought at Walmart to push through the cleaning pads until all dark residue was gone and the pad was completely white. You'll probably have to use .20 gauge diameter brushes and swabs in the choke on the count of it being a much tighter constriction than a 12 gauge barrel. Mine came out looking better than new with this method.

bbcoach

Brake cleaner and a bore brush does a great job for me.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: RiverRoost on February 17, 2016, 06:26:19 PM
I did some work getting my poa/poi correct today and was shooting some dove loads and some kent turkey loads. What's the best way to clean my rhino choke up to get ready to pattern my actual hunting shells. Thanks

As has been said, this works http://allaboutshooting.com/blogs/blog/98772615-deep-cleaning-a-shotgun-barrel

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

VAHUNTER

I use Shooters Choice or Butches bore cleaner on all of my chokes.
Both will cut the wad material and put the choke back to New condition.
I use pipe cleaners or wooden tooth picks to get into the ports and a brush
to clean the wad stoppers. the bore cleaner makes the job fast and easy!!

I do keep a bottle of hoppes around because i like the smell. but it will not touch
Shooters Choice or Butches
Good things come to those who wait

Strick9

LowCountryWildlifeManagement
Knowing Wildlife beyond Science
Genesis 9;2

redjones

Look up a product called Goof-Off its sold in big box hardware stores,Lowes,Home depot etc.
Get the liquid style,they sell a spray on also,put your choke in a small bowl and cover it with liquid and let it sit 24hrs or longer.
Remove choke and run a brush thru it,you will be surprised by how much gunk comes out.
Works better than any other product I have used for plastic fouling and carbon,just don't get it on the outside of your bbl or stock,forearm.
I use it on my chokes that I card shoot with,and my turkey chokes.

Greg
Semper Fi

tha bugman

Bore cleaner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marc

Quote from: Strick9 on February 17, 2016, 08:48:38 PM
bore brush on a cordless drill.

I soak mine in Breakfree first, but the bore brush on a drill works great!
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

southern_leo

Quote from: redjones on February 18, 2016, 06:22:25 PM
Look up a product called Goof-Off its sold in big box hardware stores,Lowes,Home depot etc.
Get the liquid style,they sell a spray on also,put your choke in a small bowl and cover it with liquid and let it sit 24hrs or longer.
Remove choke and run a brush thru it,you will be surprised by how much gunk comes out.
Works better than any other product I have used for plastic fouling and carbon,just don't get it on the outside of your bbl or stock,forearm.
I use it on my chokes that I card shoot with,and my turkey chokes.

Greg
Never tried goof off for chokes. I'll try that thanks for the tip

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Hooksfan

Alright, I have a kicks choke that I have had as long as I have had my gun. Never heard of cleaning a choke. Guess I need someone to school me on this. I am very far from being an authority on guns. They are just a tool I use to kill turkeys. But anything I can do to improve, i am willing to try out. From this post, I am gathering there is buildup from the wad material?
As many rounds that have been fired through it, I am sure it would be overdue.