OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

mossberg 500 choke q's

Started by Lon0121, March 30, 2011, 12:07:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lon0121

this is with the carlsons dead coyote choke at 660 dia
no 5 remington nitro at 40 yards and its more open than the undertaker of 665

http://img857.imageshack.us/i/002snd.jpg/
Quaker Boy pro-staff
mossy oak pro-staff

davisd9

If the 665 is patterning better than stay around that. Maybe try a little less constriction like .670.  Try the jellyhead.  You will not know till you try but if it was me and the .665 was patterning better than the lower number then I would stay around there and maybe go a little higher with different loads to try.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

davisd9

Them shells might be what are hurting you.  Try some 6s in another brand.  You do not have to spend 20 a box but I would try a different load for sure.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

davisd9

Here are your patterns side my side and the one on the left looks best to me.

[attachment deleted by admin]

trkehunr93

Quote from: davisd9 on March 30, 2011, 01:06:30 PM
Quote from: Lon0121 on March 30, 2011, 01:01:11 PM
thanks,  im new to this patterning/choke stuff what does a good internal consist of to make a good choke?  so if my 660 choke is spread another 660 choke of a dif brand might pattern different?/

Yes and what might work great in your 500 might not work great in my identical 500.  Some people will not like this comment but you do not need 250 holes in a 10" circle at 40 yards to kill a bird.  The more holes the better but the eveness of the pattern without areas of no shot is more important.  150 holes is 10" will kill a bird just as dead as 250 holes but it plays with your range, but even with the 225 - 250 I get in my 835 I limit to 50 yards.  Know your gun, if 30 yards is your max there is nothing wrong with that and that is far enough.  Too tight will mess you up at 15 yards will to loose will mess you up at 35-40 yards.  Get comfortable with your gun.

:agreed:  I am all about even patterns, don't really have a desire to be in the 300+ in a 10" circle club unless its a good, even distribution of shot.

Lon0121

i just got a jelly head in the classifieds,  we shall see how that does.  i have heard numerous positive remarks on them.
Quaker Boy pro-staff
mossy oak pro-staff

davisd9

Good Luck and keep us up to date.

chatterbox

Quote from: Lon0121 on March 30, 2011, 02:52:06 PM
i just got a jelly head in the classifieds,  we shall see how that does.  i have heard numerous positive remarks on them.
Good luck. That's the choke I run in my 535, and I get excellent results!

Lon0121

what about federal heavy weights?
Quaker Boy pro-staff
mossy oak pro-staff

davisd9

THey work great in my 20 gauge but have not tried them in a 12.