turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

mossberg 500 choke q's

Started by Lon0121, March 30, 2011, 12:07:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lon0121

whom makes a choke a lil tighter than 660 for the mossberg 500!~?   im not looking for a card shooting choke of 640 but something to make my patterns more dense!  im averaging 65 to 75 hits in the densist part of my patterns at 40 yards with a carlson 660.
Quaker Boy pro-staff
mossy oak pro-staff

davisd9

What shell are you shooting?  Be careful going to low on constriction cause sometimes that can cause just as many problems as not enough.  State what load you are using and what numbers you are getting at 40 yards.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Lon0121

at 35 yards
http://img171.imageshack.us/i/003zk.jpg/

103 hits but its spread bad!  my usual densist part is 65 pellets strong at 40!

Remington nitro no 5's 3 in

tried win HV  no 6's and shot  horribly worse and the no 5' gray box from winchester shot even worse!
Quaker Boy pro-staff
mossy oak pro-staff

TrkyHntr

You can get a kicks gobblin thunder in .655 for the 500. Great choke for shooting lead. That's what I used when I shot lead years ago.

Shane
He's big enough to ride in my truck!

Lon0121

Quaker Boy pro-staff
mossy oak pro-staff

davisd9

Are you shooting the factory sights or have installed some?  You may not be getting the best part of your pattern.  It looks like you are getting the top of the pattern.  Have you shot at a 36 x 36" paper to see what your whole pattern is doing?  If not then do this, and get sights to adjust your POI to your POA.  I have killed birds with those nitros and they are good up close, but not the greatest patterning shell.  I would go with the Winchester HV 6s and maybe try these...
http://www.shopdunns.com/products/1980/hevi_13_12ga_3_1_5_8oz_max_dr_eg_6/
If you are trying factory sights and what to try a decent priced fiber optic then let me know and I will give you a link to some good one for a good price off ebay, but you may need a paypal.  Have them on my 835 but am about to put them on another gun and mount a scope.  If you are interested in a scope I will send you links on how to get one setup for a good price, probably under $100.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Lon0121

heres the no 5's with undertaker 665 choke! 4ft by 4ft wrapping paper at 40 yards!~

http://img41.imageshack.us/i/001gfh.jpg/

the no 6 hv loads were no better than my factory full choke pattern!  didnt even take the picture it was so bad!~  my carlsons DC choke was 660 and was horrible to the point that i wont post pics!
Quaker Boy pro-staff
mossy oak pro-staff

Gobble!

The chokes internals are more important then it's exit diameter

davisd9

Looking at that photo and I cannot be sure by the photo but the section is red seems to be the most evenly spread part of the pattern.  I would try a different shell and maybe a different choke like a tightwad from primos.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Lon0121

thanks,  im new to this patterning/choke stuff what does a good internal consist of to make a good choke?  so if my 660 choke is spread another 660 choke of a dif brand might pattern different?/
Quaker Boy pro-staff
mossy oak pro-staff

Lon0121

thanks davisd!  but even though its a even pattern im averaging only 50 hits at best in that circle as well!

how about a jellyhead?
Quaker Boy pro-staff
mossy oak pro-staff

Skeeterbait

Quote from: Lon0121 on March 30, 2011, 01:01:11 PM
so if my 660 choke is spread another 660 choke of a dif brand might pattern different?

Absolutely!  .660 is where you need to stay, just a better choke.  Nothing is going to outperform an Indian Creek .660 choke in the model 500.  Been there tried that.

shootumindaface

thanks,  im new to this patterning/choke stuff what does a good internal consist of to make a good choke?  so if my 660 choke is spread another 660 choke of a dif brand might pattern different?/
Yes Exit Diameter is only one part of the puzzle.

I wish you would Mic that Carlsons choke

davisd9

Yes and what might work great in your 500 might not work great in my identical 500.  Some people will not like this comment but you do not need 250 holes in a 10" circle at 40 yards to kill a bird.  The more holes the better but the eveness of the pattern without areas of no shot is more important.  150 holes is 10" will kill a bird just as dead as 250 holes but it plays with your range, but even with the 225 - 250 I get in my 835 I limit to 50 yards.  Know your gun, if 30 yards is your max there is nothing wrong with that and that is far enough.  Too tight will mess you up at 15 yards will to loose will mess you up at 35-40 yards.  Get comfortable with your gun.

Lon0121

Quote from: shootumindaface on March 30, 2011, 01:06:23 PM
Yes Exit Diameter is only one part of the puzzle.

I wish you would Mic that Carlsons choke

i dont have the tools but shane told me it was a 660!  but my undertaker is a 665 and patterns tighter :help:
Quaker Boy pro-staff
mossy oak pro-staff