turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

To start with bird shot or not?

Started by RiverRoost, February 16, 2016, 08:03:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RiverRoost

Going to pattern this week. Should I start out shooting 2 3/4" dove loads at ten yards then check my ten yds adjustment with actual turkey shot?  Or start w my hunting she'll? Then check actual pattern at 40 yds once poa and poi are same?

Any other handy tips for patterning y'all have come up w over years?

RiverRoost

Also, how do Yall recommend quick cleaning between shots or groups of shots at the range quickly?

wvmntnhick

I'd start with 2-3/4 shells. No sense blowing the money on the turkey loads for nothing. Wouldn't start at 10 yards though. I'd move to at least 20 for a starting point. As for cleaning, you're asking the wrong guy. Mine gets cleaned once a year. That's it.

dirt road ninja

I start at 12-15 yards. Then 25 yards with dove shot. Once that's all done I clean and go to 40 with turkey loads.

sixbird

I use the cheap stuff until I get it in at 40. Then check with what you'll be shooting at 40, 30, 20 and 10. That way you'll know where you're hitting at all yardages...

sixbird

Oh, and do it off of some kind of rest that's solid...Otherwise, you'll make yourself crazy!   :angry9:

Va3toes

I start at 20 then 30 and 40. Use dove loads to get close then switch to turkey loads. I clean my gun when turkey season is over.

goblr77

Quote from: dirt road ninja on February 16, 2016, 09:33:18 PM
I start at 12-15 yards. Then 25 yards with dove shot. Once that's all done I clean and go to 40 with turkey loads.

Exactly what I do.

wmn2

I did the same thing. Dove loads at 15 to get my sight dialed in, then I shoot once at 20 to make sure, then move on to turkey loads. No sense wasting the money using turkey loads.