turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Ceramic

Started by sbbow, February 16, 2016, 07:14:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbbow

What strikers do you all like on the surface?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mastevt

In my opinion, acrylic runs the best.  Also, it will run wet.

Spitten and drummen

personally I like yellowheart. picked up a wenge and cocabola striker in Nashville that sounds very good on a couple of my ceramics. however they sound terrible on my others. I like to take a pot when looking for a striker and try dozens on it , until I find a couple that sound like what im looking for. if I cant , I try some until I do. I know that most times this is not feasible. at the convention this year , I brought a couple of pots with me and eventually found some strikers that really turned my ok pots into some awesome pots. sorry for the long reply. generally I have found yellowheart to sound the best on average on ceramic.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

870BkWht

I like dymondwood but those are getting hard to come by. I also like yellowheart, Osage, and bubinga

mote1977

Ipe and dymondwood are my favorites.

TKE921

I have a Lyman Dymondwood striker that will make my ceramic call absolutely scream. It runs well on the surface as long as I have it scuffed with either a fine grit sandpaper or a stone.  Without those it seems to slip a bit. I just asked him to recommend a striker or two to use to mellow the call out and give me a more smooth soft sound.  He recommended Mahogany and Cedar.  He included the caveat that both woods were very "grippy" on ceramic and metal surfaces.

Smooth_Operator

My favorite on ceramic has always been Dymondwood...

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep,  
But I have promises to keep,  
And miles to go before I sleep,  
And miles to go before I sleep."

mudhen

Yep, laminate...I use Lights Out...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

Swather

Yellowheart and bloodwood are the ones I found to work best.  Laminate is good as well.  I started off thinking a softer wood might be better, but it was not.