OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

What size Choke Will Work Best With Triple Beard or 3rd Degree in 20 gauge?

Started by R AJ, February 15, 2016, 02:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R AJ

Just my guess but I feel like it will be a 575 to 582, and maybe a 570 . Lets see what happens as the patterns show up.

dawei

Well I'm going to test both through the following chokes...
• .590" Carlson's® Full
• .585" Mossberg® XFull
• .575" Carlson's® XFull
• .575" Colonial® XFull
• .570" Colonial® Super Full
• .570" Hastings® Extended Turkey
• .555" Wrights® Swarm™

I've got two 10 round boxes of Hevi•Shot® Triple Beard™ arriving today from MPW. I'm still searching for the Federal® 3rd Degree™.

David

Only two defining forces ever died for you.
1. Jesus Christ.
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, and Marine.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

R AJ

Those 3rd degree have become a collectors item in 12 gauge. Dust collector that is. :anim_25:
I've never tried the 3rd degree shell in 12 gauge and should not be bashing it as such. It does seem that mfgrs would print out what choke has given best patterns on average so far.

I want to see how those flax seed work in the Triple Beard load. Should provide plenty of Omega-3's for the bird.

Remturkey

Got a box of both sitting on the gun safe waiting for good weather to try them out. Have a haymaker .570, RSF and undertaker HD to try.

owlhoot

As far as the Federals , the 20 gauge flight control wad seems to be a bit easier to work with for most shooters. The same wad in 12 gauge seems to fight a lot of shooters with their combo's.
So maybe the same wad is used in the 3rd degree load?
For no more of the price difference between 3rd degree and HW 7's ,i think the HW 7's are the way to go.
I've shot a few of the pheasant loads with flight-stopper in 20 gauge in a full choke gun and the patterns were very open,but just that one gun was tried.

looks like dawei has some chokes covered , should be interesting.