turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Super Vinci - Good and Bad

Started by BigPimpin, February 15, 2016, 06:30:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigPimpin

I got a new SV in the Optifade and shot if throughout duck season.  It is the best feeling shotgun I have owned.  I was excited to try it out for turkey so I ordered a choke and sent some LB6 down the tube.  what a pattern!  With the Sumtoy, I got 267 in the 10" ring at 40 yds. 

Now the bad - as I have been patterning the shotgun, I have removed the bolt several times for cleaning.  The little tab that protrudes from the bottom of the red bolt buffer is now chewed up pretty bad from passing over the ridges at the back of the receiver.  I ordered a replacement part, but even after talking to Benelli, I can't figure out how to get the the bolt broke down far enough to replace the bolt buffer.  Have any of you ever done this?  Have you had the recoil spring off the bolt assembly? 

Also, the gun shoots about 6" high at 40 yds.  That is keeping my head down and covering the front bead as far as I can with the rear bead.  Can't go any further.  I ordered some pro magnum gobble dots, but I am not crazy about having to use them on a top of the line shotgun.  I know how the Europeans like the guns to shoot, but here in the USA, I like my gun to hit exactly where I point.
I'd rather be Drivin' > Disco.

blueridgegobbler

Your gun shoots 70/30 most Benelli will well most shotguns will your gun should have a shim kit that can adjust your poa/ poi problems. You could also contact a good gunsmith and they can make the gun shoot poa 50/50

BigPimpin

Quote from: blueridgegobbler on February 15, 2016, 07:51:20 AM
Your gun shoots 70/30 most Benelli will well most shotguns will your gun should have a shim kit that can adjust your poa/ poi problems. You could also contact a good gunsmith and they can make the gun shoot poa 50/50

Actually, I would say 90/10.  Ain't a whole lot of pellets outside that 10" circle.  Nary a one hit the bulls eye.  will a shim help with turkey shooting?  I can see it working with wing shooting where you point and shoot.  but with aiming down the barrel, them beads ain't gonna change - even if you took the butt stock clean off, the beads are fixed to the barrel.

USMC0331

I have not owned a SV but i have owned about every other Benelli. If your going to turkey hunt with it you will either have to put adjustable sights, red dot or scope to hit your POA. The shim did nothing to help my issues with them for POA/POI.

BigPimpin

Quote from: USMC0331 on February 15, 2016, 08:22:02 AM
I have not owned a SV but i have owned about every other Benelli. If your going to turkey hunt with it you will either have to put adjustable sights, red dot or scope to hit your POA. The shim did nothing to help my issues with them for POA/POI.

My M2 20ga is dead on with the Sumtoy/HW7.  I guess I got lucky on that one. 

reynolds243

Yeah I have an M2 20 and a SBE2 and both shoot POA

Have you checked with your factory chokes to see if they shoot high as well?

Joshua 24:15
"But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord."

Sent from my phone sucka

BigPimpin

Quote from: reynolds243 on February 15, 2016, 09:10:39 AM

Sent from my phone sucka

No.  I doubt the factory choke would pattern anywhere close to this Sumtoy.  Maybe I will check and see though. 

Would it hurt to shoot the LB6 through the factory choke?

reynolds243

Quote from: BigPimpin on February 15, 2016, 10:17:38 AM
Quote from: reynolds243 on February 15, 2016, 09:10:39 AM

Sent from my phone sucka

No.  I doubt the factory choke would pattern anywhere close to this Sumtoy.  Maybe I will check and see though. 

Would it hurt to shoot the LB6 through the factory choke?

My point is I had the same issue in a stoeger I had with and Indian creek choke. Checked my stock chokes and found out the issue was actually the Indian creek not the gun.

Sent from my phone sucka

BigPimpin

reynolds243, I am going to check that!  You have a good point. 

As far as the bolt buffer goes, a member of another forum went to the trouble of spelling it all out for me.  He had his apart before and did it again today to make sure he was explaining it right.  I will try it and post the instructions after I verify that they are correct.

Borden811

I've got three benellis, SBEII, M2, and Ultralight. Two of them shot high, the shims fixed both of them. If you want to shoot beads, stack the front bead on the mid bead i.e.make a figure "8" with them. That should get your pattern down some.

turkeywhisperer935

Lb's are lead so shouldn't hurt the factory choke.

BigPimpin

Here's the answer to the bolt buffer replacement.  It should be in the manual.  Thanks to a member of another forum who had done it before, there will now be instructions on the www:

1. Finger on firing pin, remove FP retainer and carefully remove the FP which is under light spring pressure.

2. Remove the bolt retainer pin, bolt and inertia spring.

3. Place the bolt carrier, face down, on a firm surface and collapse the recoil spring and inch or so.

4. Separate the buffer and front metal disk from the rear disk and use them to collapse the recoil spring almost fully into the bolt carrier. (The front disk keeps the guide rod locked in position in the rear disk.)

5. Push the recoil spring guide rod up a bit and, with a little outward pressure on the guide rod, rotate the rear disk CW a little to disengage the rod end from the slot.

6. Slide the rear disk / ejector rod out of the bolt carrier and, holding the recoil spring down, remove the buffer and front metal disk from the guide rod.

7. Carefully relax the recoil spring and remove it from the guide rod.

8. Lift the bolt carrier up and slide the guide rod out the front.