turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Open or Tight Choke for Lead?

Started by NYlogbeards, February 12, 2016, 04:26:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NYlogbeards

I'm probably going to get heat for asking too many question that we're probably already asked but I can't seem to find anything on this topic besides based on hunter's preference.

Would a tighter choke be better with lead or more open choke? specifically using Winchester XX copper loads with a Mossberg 500, would something closer to 585" or 575" give better results or something tighter like 550" or 565".

Appreciate the help.

BandedSpur

Turkeyfever

This forum is for questions! I would not worry about it. Seems simple to me if I do not want to respond I simply skip the post! To me for that shell I would go a little tighter. If you use the federal copper plated lead we discussed go with the more open due to the flight control wad!

Greg Massey

I got the Trulock 565 choke .. I did a lot of looking and reading about chokes because i wanted one that would put up good numbers with both hevi-13 and the federal H P. 7. I wanted one that shot the 3 in. 1 5/16 oz. 6 shot also...i wanted a non ported choke so i did't have to worry if it was the right choke for the shells.. I think you will be fine with a 565 choke.. you can call the people at Trulock and they will help with chokes etc..If you don't like the choke from them they have a 60 day return for exchange or money back..lifetime warr. on chokes.     trulockchokes.com

NYlogbeards

Is there any chokes tighter than 575" for mossberg? seems all the tighter chokes fit other gun manufacturers.

Greg Massey

If i were you i would call either Sumtoy chokes or Trulock for the ans. your looking for...The thing about chokes has a lot to do with what kind of shell your wanting to shoot ... are you just wanting to shoot lead only or something else..

NYlogbeards

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 12, 2016, 04:41:22 PM
If i were you i would call either Sumtoy chokes or Trulock for the ans. your looking for...The thing about chokes has a lot to do with what kind of shell your wanting to shoot ... are you just wanting to shoot lead only or something else..

I'm keeping my options open between Lead and a new choke or Trying Federal heavyweight out of my current choke, don't have alot of money to spend on both and dont want to waste my money on heavyweight if i dont like the FC wad. would like to get good pattern at 35 yards.

dirt road ninja

575 - 585 will probably be to open for what your looking for. 555 - 565 would be where I'd start. What choke are you currently using?

NYlogbeards

Quote from: dirt road ninja on February 12, 2016, 05:13:42 PM
575 - 585 will probably be to open for what your looking for. 555 - 565 would be where I'd start. What choke are you currently using?

I'm using a Carlsons flush 585" xfull choke, i cant find anything tighter than the Carlsons 575" for a Mossberg, what chokes with a tighter constriction will fit in a Mossberg?

Greg Massey

The smallest exit diameter does not always give the tightest pattern. Sometimes the smaller the diameter the more erratic the patterns can be sometimes. Back to what your using NOW i don't think in a flush choke your going to find one much smaller than the 575 choke.  In a extended choke like Trulock you can get a 565 for around 45 dollars. I have that choke in my Remington 870 youth 20 ga. as i told you. Now you can get a little bit tighter choke for your gun if your just planning on shooting Federal P. heavyweights that choke from Trulock will be a 560 extended cost around 53 dollars. Again it all has to do with what your wanting to shoot in shells federal P Heavyweights 6 or 7 or say federal 3 in. 1 5/16 oz. 6 shot or a number 5 shot... I think in your gun Suntoy may make a 562.5 but again i think this choke is more just for the number 7 shot hevi-13 or federal P heavyweights 6 or 7.    I do think you need a extended choke regardless because in that last part of that choke is were your getting that shot down to a tight pattern of that choke.. i hope this helps you..

NYlogbeards

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 12, 2016, 06:43:19 PM
The smallest exit diameter does not always give the tightest pattern. Sometimes the smaller the diameter the more erratic the patterns can be sometimes. Back to what your using NOW i don't think in a flush choke your going to find one much smaller than the 575 choke.  In a extended choke like Trulock you can get a 565 for around 45 dollars. I have that choke in my Remington 870 youth 20 ga. as i told you. Now you can get a little bit tighter choke for your gun if your just planning on shooting Federal P. heavyweights that choke from Trulock will be a 560 extended cost around 53 dollars. Again it all has to do with what your wanting to shoot in shells federal P Heavyweights 6 or 7 or say federal 3 in. 1 5/16 oz. 6 shot or a number 5 shot... I think in your gun Suntoy may make a 562.5 but again i think this choke is more just for the number 7 shot hevi-13 or federal P heavyweights 6 or 7.    I do think you need a extended choke regardless because in that last part of that choke is were your getting that shot down to a tight pattern of that choke.. i hope this helps you..

I'm looking for an extended choke 575 or tighter, don't want to spend much more than 40$, doesn't leave me too many options besides the Carlson's ext 575" or Truglo Gobble Stopper ext 565", I have a lot of Win lead #5 loads I'd like to get pattern well at 35 yards.

tree-rat sniper

I've used an extended Undertaker .575 in my mossy with #5 xx win loads.  I don't recall the pattern shot count but it was a decent pattern... I've taken a few gobblers with that load.
NRA Life Member/Pistol Instructor, NWTF, SCI (former DU, VHA & HHI).  Non Gratum Anus Rodentum!

Greg Massey

Well with the Trulock choke you will get a 60 day return if you don't like the choke or you can get a refund or exchange ..It will also come with a lifetime warranty...and they use some of the best stainless steel ..That guarantee is worth 10 dollars...

NYlogbeards

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 12, 2016, 11:07:14 PM
Well with the Trulock choke you will get a 60 day return if you don't like the choke or you can get a refund or exchange ..It will also come with a lifetime warranty...and they use some of the best stainless steel ..That guarantee is worth 10 dollars...
I took a look on Trulock site and that's not bad price for it, what were your numbers like with the Trulock choke you have?

Greg Massey

130 -150 depending on what shells at 40 yards in a 10 in. circle..