Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

The Strut Stoppers

Started by Thundermtn, February 07, 2016, 04:33:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iliveintrees

Nice! Some of you guys have seasons coming up really soon! Just long enough away here in Michigan to be driving me nuts! We have a good mix of folks from around the country!

Dmason3

Illinois is really screwed up...so far I've drawn 3rd and 5th season and still have one more drawing left. Sooooo I can't go until April 15 here unless I draw an earlier season in the last drawing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nativeks

I listened from the back deck this morning and this evening. Still only hens around, but I have one trail cam pic of a group of 4 long beards passing through.

Seminoleturkey

What vest is everybody using this season ? I'm going with a cabelas kick stand and a old school epards lounge I scored off eBay last year .

Seminoleturkey

They were gobbling good here in north Florida this morning .

turkey harvester

Quote from: Seminoleturkey on March 03, 2016, 08:33:01 PM
What vest is everybody using this season ? I'm going with a cabelas kick stand and a old school epards lounge I scored off eBay last year .

I've got an HS strut bag. Lots of pockets but I seem to have something for every pocket,lol. I'm gonna listen here Saturday morning and see if maybe 1 will give me a courtesy gobble.
TURKEY NUT CUSTOM STRIKERS- Jeffrey Thompson-Owner.  Kathleen,GA
Hunt with your kids, not for them.

Hunt with your kids, not for them.

iliveintrees

Nothing special as far as my vest goes. Nice cushion for sitting. Lightweight run and gun type vest.

RIStrutStopper

Using a Mossy Oak Super Elite III I think... Had the original one, worked well but not much of a cushion. This one has a nicer pad. Issue is that I tend to lose strikers out of the pockets if I'm not careful. Luckily, I tend to find them when I backtrack. I've been using a Cabelas turkey lounger too, the only problem with that is sometimes I'm so comfortable, I don't move when I should. I stay put for too long.

nativeks

Cabelas Tactical Tatr. I got in on clearance a few years ago. I love the way the striker pouches are. Haven't lost one yet. I just wish it had more pockets for pot calls. I love getting them out of the classifieds here.

Seminoleturkey

I have a cabelas tactical tart kick stand and love it , and I am becoming a pot call junky

Fan Club

I've had the Hunters Specialties SUV vest for about 7 seasons. It's everything I need in a vest, great detachable seat cushion, padded shoulder straps, sternum strap, many zippered compartments and pockets and a lined game bag. I always carry my tagged birds out in the game bag. Carrying a gobbler over your shoulder is just for the hero shots in videos boys. Besides getting blood everywhere, the Missouri toms were always loaded with ticks and they will leave a cooling carcass for a warm body in a heartbeat. With the shoulder carry they will jump off the bird's legs into your hairline and down the neck of your shirt. THAT is the voice of experience.

I used to loose strikers too (who hasn't), but about 3 years ago I went to a zippered, see thru mesh, pouch system for all my strikers, conditioning kit and chalk. The whole pouch fits in my vest pocket and I haven't lost a striker since. The Fearless brand I have are sold at home improvement stores like Home Depot, Menards and Lowes, about 10 bucks for a 3 pk. Gitcha one, you won't regret it.

"Really, it's just like a musical instrument. If I'd have spent the same amount of time practicin' the piano as I have practicin' turkey calls, I'd be as good as Liberace."  Ben Rogers Lee

nativeks

Grass fire smoke is heavy in the air, spring is here in KS

Dmason3

Saw one of the flocks I'll be after today. There's a smoke phase bird in there. Hoping its a tom

Fan Club

Quote from: Dmason3 on March 06, 2016, 08:42:45 PM
There's a smoke phase bird in there. Hoping it's a tom.

How cool would that be? Hope it pans out for you!

"Really, it's just like a musical instrument. If I'd have spent the same amount of time practicin' the piano as I have practicin' turkey calls, I'd be as good as Liberace."  Ben Rogers Lee

Seminoleturkey

Great tip on the pouch .i will get one this week