Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

The Strut Stoppers

Started by Thundermtn, February 07, 2016, 04:33:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thundermtn

Right on. I go fishing for salmon and steelhead up there every few years in Muskegon. MI has some goods birds, and probably more bow shops than any other state in America.

iliveintrees

Yeah, the salmon will be gone before long........i fish near traverse city every year, they'll be no more significant salmon runs within 5 years.   :(

Steelhead and lakers are still very good!

Fan Club

Hello Boys-

Understand you folks would be willing to have this crusty old turkey hunter to help round out your team.  ::) If you'll have me I'm in. A few words about my self;

I hail from Battle Creek Creek MI, although I have lived in N. Carolina and Indiana. Dad started me hunting and fishing as soon as I could carry a gun or hold a rod. (He's still with us at 82), cottontails, pheasant, deer, racoon, ducks geese. Started turkey hunting in Missouri in the early 90s as we didn't have very many birds in Michigan back then. We started at Rebels Cove a 5,000 acre WMA and then had a 450 acre farm lease for 12 seasons. It worked well as I usually tagged a couple gobblers down there and that would take any pressure off to kill a bird in Michigan. These days I get a bigger kick out of taking newbies and kids turkey hunting, paying it forward as it were.

I love to talk turkey and enjoy a good yarn so you won't have any problem with me disappearing or not posting. I was a Web Pro-Staffer on the T&TH forum for many years with thousands of posts until it died a slow death after the Magazine ceased publication.

Please let me know if I'm on the team so I can remove my name from the random registration thread.

Thanks! Jeff

<-  <-  <-  <-  <-  <-  <-  <-  <-  <-  <-

"Really, it's just like a musical instrument. If I'd have spent the same amount of time practicin' the piano as I have practicin' turkey calls, I'd be as good as Liberace."  Ben Rogers Lee

Thundermtn

You're on! Glad to have you. MO in the late 80's-early90's was maybe the best turkey hunting in the whole world then. It is still really good but we have too many predators to get back to those numbers. I'll have plenty of stories this year, I'll be chasing a boss gobbler and hunting with kids so it's going to be eventful. Welcome to the team!

Fan Club

Thanks Thundermtn!

Love the team name as I shoot a Tru-Glo "Strut Stopper" choke tube by Banser out of my Winchester 1300. I see you are from Missouri, we hunted up in Schuyler Co. near the Lancaster area, it was only a few miles south of the Iowa line.

Look forward to sharin' some turkey tales with y'all this season!

regards, Jeff

<-  <-  <-  <-  <-  <-  <-  <-  <-  <-

"Really, it's just like a musical instrument. If I'd have spent the same amount of time practicin' the piano as I have practicin' turkey calls, I'd be as good as Liberace."  Ben Rogers Lee

Seminoleturkey

Just took the Knoxx AR style stock off my 835.it was causing the gun to kick and hit you in the face .i just installed a Boyd thumb hole stock and I'm trying to get a 20" barrel now .with the Boyd stock the cheek weld is perfect for me .last year I was lucky enough to pick us a star dot choke for it .im ditching the 28" barrel or more turkey hunting friendly 20"

Thundermtn

20" is a two edged sword. It may not pattern as good as a longer barrel and you're sacrificing some speed + you get more blast and kick with less sight radius. It is WAY more manuverable thought if you're a dedicated run and gun hunter and have to hole up in weird spots quick when checking a bird. It's also less movement if you have one sneak in quiet from a weird direction. My favorite is a 22" or 24" for a good compromise.

I'm running a 26" with 1" ext. choke now, it's held me up twice that I can remember with that length but I like getting as much speed as I can without going to old school goose gun length.

Seminoleturkey

I just got a 24" barrel off eBay .i am planning on having my 28" cut down now.i have hunted with the 28" since the early 90's and it has never been a problem .last year I picked a 22"'barrel sa459 turkey shot gun and it's so much fun to hunt with it made think about making my 835 more fun to hunt with.

Thundermtn

Welcome to out newest member, nativeks.

Thundermtn

Quote from: Seminoleturkey on February 27, 2016, 11:00:46 PM
I just got a 24" barrel off eBay .i am planning on having my 28" cut down now.i have hunted with the 28" since the early 90's and it has never been a problem .last year I picked a 22"'barrel sa459 turkey shot gun and it's so much fun to hunt with it made think about making my 835 more fun to hunt with.

Sounds like you'll have some fun and diverse shotguns.

I shot my first 3 gun competition last weekend, with my turkey gun. I did ok for my first time and being the only guy running a pump. 38th out of 46. The turkey gun was slow to load, but I also had zero shotgun malfunctions vs. the race guns that almost all had at least one problem. I'm going to find an old wingmaster with a rough stock and some bluing problems and rebuild it for a silky smooth high cap. fun gun.

Thundermtn

REMINDER!

If you still have a post up to enter the contest but are already on the team roster, please look it up and delete it so you stay on the team and it makes the contest easier to host for the admins. Thanks!

turkey harvester

Won't let me delete my own post it says but I posted to delete. 2 more Missouri boys that's cool. Guess I'll stay here in the south for season. Seems to work well for me. Hunt over around west plains on some private land. Got a couple spots here in Ripley and Oregon I hunt too.
I love the 24" barrel on my mossy 835. Got a kicks .680 ported choke and I shoot win. 3 1/2" supremes. Haven't tried the longbeard but most my birds are 20 yards if possible.
TURKEY NUT CUSTOM STRIKERS- Jeffrey Thompson-Owner.  Kathleen,GA
Hunt with your kids, not for them.

Hunt with your kids, not for them.

nativeks

Checking in. Pulled a trail camera card today.Turkey numbers are down in this part of the state compared to where they were in the late 90s/early 2000s but I plan on bagging a couple.

deerbasshunter3

Our season starts here in SC on March 20. I will be out the following week. We have plenty of birds on our farm in the Low Country, so shouldn't be a problem getting one on the books. I feel like I just recovered from deer season. Oh well, time to chase another animal around the woods!

Thundermtn

We had a looonnng deer season this year! The spring woods are more fun to me though. I put less emphasis on how I do it verses getting it done+ I get to make noise and talk turkey