OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Finish option's?

Started by 357MAGNOLE, February 05, 2016, 11:07:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

357MAGNOLE

I think I am going to attempt what this guy did here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDUxdeLPWNE

Only issue for me is he doesn't really show his technique for making the "bark pattern"

You would think one could figure it out from the video but he does nothing slow its all way sped up.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

Tennessee Lead

Quote from: 357MAGNOLE on February 09, 2016, 03:34:21 PM
I think I am going to attempt what this guy did here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDUxdeLPWNE

Only issue for me is he doesn't really show his technique for making the "bark pattern"

You would think one could figure it out from the video but he does nothing slow its all way sped up.

He's a member here maybe he'll chime in.

Sent from the barrel of a model 70 at 3300 fps

catman529

357MAGNOLE

Catman you literally posted the video I was referencing. Great job on the video, I commented on it.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

357MAGNOLE

Got my stock in today and started to work on the camo pattern.  Here is what I came up with so far over the last few hours.  Blends decently when you step back just a few feet.  I imagine in the woods it will disappear.

up close shot... obviously not blending is well but if anything gets that close its game over.

Here it is at 15 yards out. Blends decently with the naked bradford pear trunk.  I imagine with some brush around you wont be able to see it until ontop of it.

catman529

Quote from: 357MAGNOLE on February 09, 2016, 05:11:35 PM
Got my stock in today and started to work on the camo pattern.  Here is what I came up with so far over the last few hours.  Blends decently when you step back just a few feet.  I imagine in the woods it will disappear.

up close shot... obviously not blending is well but if anything gets that close its game over.

Here it is at 15 yards out. Blends decently with the naked bradford pear trunk.  I imagine with some brush around you wont be able to see it until ontop of it.

it still looks good to me. Remember many turkeys are killed with a black gun or a wood stock. That tree bark pattern is more than good enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

357MAGNOLE

Its not just for the turkey... its for the fun of it as wwell  :icon_thumright:

catman529

Quote from: 357MAGNOLE on February 09, 2016, 05:59:55 PM
Its not just for the turkey... its for the fun of it as wwell  :icon_thumright:
yes I agree. I enjoyed painting my gun and love to carry it around with its new paint job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gophert

I camo dipped mine myself...don't set it next to a tree and forget which tree u set it against

Sent from my typewriter

357MAGNOLE

What I came up with so far. Still need to work the shine down and get my scope rings in the mail.

357MAGNOLE

Wrapping this thread up.... Sure someone will research and come across it in the future so hear is the finalized picture of the finish. I took some 0000 steel wool to the clear coat and got rid of most the shine.

dirt road ninja

That came out great! I might attempt to duplicate that on my next one.

Mike Honcho

Really nice job!

Going to re do mine now!

Mike

wvmntnhick

Looks good for sure. Been thinking about having my sx2 ceracoated with a camo pattern. Generally use the 835 now when it comes to shot gunning turkeys but that sx2 takes away much more recoil. Now you've got me thinking again.

357MAGNOLE

I just could not bring myself to spend over $300 in a professional hydro dip or cerakote when the gun didn't even cost $300. The gun alone was $200, then the scope, rings, choke came out to a hair over $100 more. Just not worth it to me. Plus I think this came out fantastic.