OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Finish option's?

Started by 357MAGNOLE, February 05, 2016, 11:07:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

357MAGNOLE

Trying to decide on how I want to camo my new 870 youth build with a sure shot stock setup.

What types of finishes have y'all used and have they held up or would you go a different route?

I am not intending on this being a $800+ build so I am beginning to shy away from a hydro dip and thinking about going the spray can route. I did this one time before and it came out well and has held up over the last year.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

357MAGNOLE

Here is a pic of the gun I did a while back. Blends pretty well, much better than an all black gun for sure.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

born2hunt

Most all of my hunting guns have been rattle canned. I have a lot of fun with it and if you dont like how it turns out just hit it again. I know its not needed but I just cant stand the looks of a black gun, I even painted my walnut 870 this year just for kicks.
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

Borden811

Longshanks

Duracoated a couple of guns and they hold up from year to year. Previously I was taping them or sprayed them with spray paint. That would wear off every year and get allot of heavy build up as I would try to touch up or create camo patterns. Understand they have Duracoat in rattle cans now.  Interested to hear some results with that product.

decoykrvr

Regardless the rattle can product you use, tape off all the areas which don't require coverage, set the gun in the sun (best if temps are above 80 degrees) and overspray w/ Deft Satin finish.  Let the finish cure for 6-8 hours preferably in the sun then recoat 2-3 times letting it totally cure between applications.  You can give your final cured coat a light sanding w/ 400 grit wet-dry paper for a flatter finish.  You get a good hard polyurethane finish which doesn't shine and will last a long time. 
The rattle can guns which we have coated w/ the Deft have a flatter, less reflective, finish than the factory or custom hydro coats. I have used the Deft to refinish wood stocks, esp. waterfowl guns, and after the stock has been sanded, stained, and filled, will spray on Deft, rub it with my fingers like an old Tru-Oil finish, let it dry, spray and rub it in again.  Tape all the checkering and start adding layers of the Deft.  After 2-3 cured coats I smooth the finish w/ a 320-400 grit light sanding and wipe-off w/ tackcloth between coats.  My primary waterfowl gun is an H&K/ SBE which has 12 coats of Deft on the stock and forearm, has been in the weather from -14 and snow to the 90's in all kinds of moisture and has never had any swelling or discoloration.  You need to use an X-Acto fine blade to cut out and removed all taped surfaces esp the checkering which doesn't need but 1-2 coats before masking to prevent build-up.  The real beauty of Deft is the ability to eliminate scratches with a single recoat.

The Woodsman

Quote from: dirt road ninja on February 05, 2016, 02:18:04 PM

[/

That's one I sprayed. I like rattle can shotguns.
DRN,
I have to tell you that your camo job blends really good. It blends good in the shadows and the bright sunlight. A lot do not. Interesting it is....
Denny

dirt road ninja

Thanks, all of them in this thread look good IMO. The finish on the mossberg leaves much to be desired of. It would rust just sitting in the house.

357MAGNOLE

For all of you who did the spray can camo jobs, did you media blast the original finish off your guns first? Sand it down or scruff it up?

With the gun I originally did I just degreased it with isopropyl and a rag and went to town.  I did not even use a primer, and the gun only has a couple small scratches from walking through the woods multiple times the last couple years.

I am trying to debate what to do on this new 870. I know the finishes are not all that good from the factory but I cant think it would hurt to leave it and hit it with a layer of primer before my base coat. Suggestions?

dirt road ninja

I did same as you. Wipe down, taped up and went to spraying. Not the most durable finish, but it services me.

Andy S.

Quote from: 357MAGNOLE on February 05, 2016, 11:25:40 AM
Here is a pic of the gun I did a while back.
It looks awesome. What products did you use and did you take any extra measures to get such a good product?
Andy S.

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.

357MAGNOLE

Quote from: Andy S. on February 09, 2016, 10:55:11 AM
Quote from: 357MAGNOLE on February 05, 2016, 11:25:40 AM
Here is a pic of the gun I did a while back.
It looks awesome. What products did you use and did you take any extra measures to get such a good product?

I decreased the entire gun, sprayed a base layer of khaki. Then found leaves, sticks from my woods and used as stencil. I actually applied a good amount of leaves and sticks before spraying my next coat which was of green. I did that from about 18" above the gun and let it drift in place. Then pulled sticks and leaves off and had larger spots of khaki left from the leaves/sticks so I from about 3 feet up did a quick mist of the gun with the forest green. After that I took pine straw bunches held against the gun and did quick burst of black spray to give the breakup shadowy effect. Then about 6 coats of flat matte clear coat finish

Andy S.

Thanks for the reply. Did you use Rustoleum or what?
Andy S.

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.

357MAGNOLE

Yes. Their camo colors and their Matte clear.

Just started on this 870. Don't have the gun back from the smith yet but I have the stock and just roughed it up and primed it. Going for a different type of camo this time. Fingers crossed