OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

No Ports in Barrel of 835?

Started by devin4484, March 29, 2011, 07:21:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

devin4484

My uncle has an 835 that he absolutely hates.  I asked him why?  He replied, "It shoots like crap and has no barrel ports."  I said, "Every 835 barrel I have ever seen has ports."  Well I should say mine, my stepdads, and his brother has ports. 

My question to you OG members is are alot of the 835's not ported?  If you have one thats not ported how do you like it?  Do you recommend him getting a barrel that is ported?  I know it supposed to reduce recoil and muzzle jump and it makes your gun louder than heck lol,  but does it actually effect accuracy?

knightrider

i have turkey tacticle 835 with non ported 20 in barrel and couldnt ask for better with my pg 670 and 3in mag blends :z-guntootsmiley:

devin4484

Ours have 24 inch barrels.  and to top it off his has a star dot choke tube on it.

paturkeyhntr

I have 2 835's with 20" barrels....no ports.  They kick like mules!!!!!!!  But pattern really well.

surehuntsalot

I bought mine in 1990,no ports
patterns almost anything I put in it,I said almost
been very happy with it over the years,but the turkeys hate it
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Tom Foolery

24" barrel nonported with a Star Dot and it shoots most loads very good.  A guy I hunt with has one just like it and it just smokes mine on the pattern board.

Sounds like your pattern may be off center??

mightyjoeyoung

All Mossbergs 835 shotguns manufactured after 1994 come standard with ported barrels.  Before that it was an option.  I never knew that until I became a sporting goods buyer for one of the local stores in my area and began building my 835 project turkey thumper.  My pop has the original and first model ever purchased in my home town.  Man did that thing give him big ones till he sent it back to mossberg for a refit.  Feed and ejection problems galore!  He now has both a 28" and a 24" ported barrel and still keeps the "broom handle" on it. 
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

SR1

Mine has no porting and shoots great I got mine in 92' but the guy I got it from bought it new in 90'
Death Smiles At Everyone - Marines Smile Back
Artillery Brings Dignity to What Would Otherwise Be Just A Vulgar Brawl
Happiness Is A Belt-Fed Weapon
[/url]

keyser12ga

He probably hates it because it kicks him in the pants everytime he shoot it.  Give him $50 dollars for it and take it off his hands!

Duke0002

If he wants ports, a gunsmith might be able to punch a few holes in it for him.  Gotta be cheaper than a new barrel.

WildSpur

I dont think they port the 20" tubes. 

Cluck more, yelp less

TScottW99

I had one of the first 835s, woodland camo, no ports, kicked like a team of mules and had feeding and ejecting problems.  Got rid of her and never turned back  :fud:
"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

knightrider

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on March 29, 2011, 09:47:19 PM
All Mossbergs 835 shotguns manufactured after 1994 come standard with ported barrels.  Before that it was an option.  I never knew that until I became a sporting goods buyer for one of the local stores in my area and began building my 835 project turkey thumper.  My pop has the original and first model ever purchased in my home town.  Man did that thing give him big ones till he sent it back to mossberg for a refit.  Feed and ejection problems galore!  He now has both a 28" and a 24" ported barrel and still keeps the "broom handle" on it. 
nope, not all of them are ported the 20in barrels are not ported :you_rock:

Smart longbeard

I just noticed yesterday my 935 wasn't ported. All of my 835s have been, but the 935 patterns just as well as the 3 835s i have owned in the past. Also the 935 doesn't kick nearly as hard, unless years of the 835 has made my shoulder a little numb. :D

DuckNurse

Quote from: Smart longbeard on March 30, 2011, 09:55:01 AMAlso the 935 doesn't kick nearly as hard, unless years of the 835 has made my shoulder a little numb. :D

The 935 shouldn't kick as hard as the 835 since it's a semi-auto.   :z-guntootsmiley: