Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Shot some 2010 & 2011 3.5" Hevi 7's today (w/ Pictures)

Started by drum817, March 29, 2011, 06:18:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SumToy

Quote from: slickyboyboo on March 29, 2011, 10:09:59 PM
Quote from: Spuriosity on March 29, 2011, 07:51:27 PM
Tough to read the lot# in the hull and wad pix, but the wad in the lower pic sure did hold up better than the one in the upper pic. As a handloader, there is no way I would use the wad from the upper pic without a mylar wrap to prevent those pellets from scrubbing through. That wad is not up to the task.

I noticed that myself. No way I would shoot one of those.

They are safe.  The thing about it is the choke that you shoot.  You will need to change the choke lay out to shoot the softer wad.  That like the FCW it is very hard and the OD of it is .730.  They make it softer and the OD smaller it would wake up.  Think about this HV-13 have a choke out now.  They try to get them to work together to sale shell and choke.   I have saw the choke they sale and it will need some work also.  So they go back to the drawing board now or back to old wad.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

drum817

Quote from: JohnDoe on March 29, 2011, 10:17:36 PM
Now we need a response from Hevi as to why the changed wads and why they said they did not change components.

John

It was a pretty safe bet all along that EM had changed the wad...BUT, now we know for sure.  They will probably NEVER have the "kahuna's" to admit they lied.... EM has done this kind of thing several times in the past  ::) ....Hopefully I'll be handloading my own #7 load next year & will not have to bother with EM AGAIN !!
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

Gobble!

Quote from: SumToy on March 29, 2011, 08:39:30 PM
Looks like we will need to rework the choke for this.  Now with that said we have had good numbers with the new shell.  Now with that said I did see low numbers this year when we started to test.  I looked at the temp as the problem.  I did not have a old wad and had not played with them enuff to remember what the old wad looked like.  So I started over with the chokes.  

Now the softer wad will rip more as we get more into the warmer days.  

sumtoy dont change your choke. sounds like you have a good thing going. EM changes their crap every year anyway.

drum817

Quote from: Gobble! on March 29, 2011, 10:39:03 PM
Quote from: SumToy on March 29, 2011, 08:39:30 PM
Looks like we will need to rework the choke for this.  Now with that said we have had good numbers with the new shell.  Now with that said I did see low numbers this year when we started to test.  I looked at the temp as the problem.  I did not have a old wad and had not played with them enuff to remember what the old wad looked like.  So I started over with the chokes.  

Now the softer wad will rip more as we get more into the warmer days.  

sumtoy dont change your choke. sounds like you have a good thing going. EM changes their crap every year anyway.

:agreed: :agreed: :agreed:  If you want to design a choke for a factory load, then look at the Winchester Xtended #6's....They are much better about leaving stuff alone.
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"