Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Shot some 2010 & 2011 3.5" Hevi 7's today (w/ Pictures)

Started by drum817, March 29, 2011, 06:18:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drum817

Thanks to Joshua who sent me two Hevi 7's from the 300488 lot.  I shot the 2010 load against the 2011 load out of my Supernova with a IC .665.  I didn't break the 300 mark with last years shell like I had hoped.  The weather was a touch cooler and I had a small cross wind....although I don't believe that the cross wind was strong enough to make a huge difference.  After recovering each wad from each individual shot I did notice right away that the wad is totally different (not a shocker).  The 2011(lot 300488) still put up 240 in the 10"....which I can get those numbers out of Xtended 6's in my 835.  HOWEVER, I only managed to get 257 out of lot 300325 which was doing 300+ for me last year....go figure ??? ....I have one more shell from the 300488 lot to dissect...so we'll see what that reveals later.

"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

gatrkyhntr70

<- <- <= <- <- <- <-

drum817

Quote from: gatrkyhntr70 on March 29, 2011, 06:53:30 PM
good report, nothing to fuss over there.

The ONLY thing that puzzled me was...Last year I never shot under 300 with lot 300325 and this year from the same box it shot 257.  I checked the temps and humidity from last year and here is the only difference.

Last year.... 70 degrees and 30% humidity

This year....  59 degrees and 53% humidity

ILIKEHEVI-13

The 11 degree temp difference had a lot to do with that. 

SumToy

I see the was is diffrent in the two shells.  I think I saw some say that HV-13 told them they had not changed the shell.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

R AJ

Quote from: drum817 on March 29, 2011, 06:58:45 PM

The ONLY thing that puzzled me was...Last year I never shot under 300 with lot 300325 and this year from the same box it shot 257.  I checked the temps and humidity from last year and here is the only difference.

This year....  59 degrees and 53% humidity

Drum ,
What good patterns you hav ethere. Nice, very nice.

drum817

Quote from: Spuriosity on March 29, 2011, 07:51:27 PM
Tough to read the lot# in the hull and wad pix, but the wad in the lower pic sure did hold up better than the one in the upper pic. As a handloader, there is no way I would use the wad from the upper pic without a mylar wrap to prevent those pellets from scrubbing through. That wad is not up to the task.

The top pic is lot # 300488 from 2011

The bottom pic is lot # 300325 from 2010

I know without putting a mic on it you can't "really" know....but the wad from #300325 (bottom pic)  does feel thicker to the touch.

SumToy

You looking over part of  wad you want to look at.  It not how thick it is ;).   Look at the OD of both.  Look at the gas seal on both.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

drum817

gatrkyhntr70

Quote from: drum817 on March 29, 2011, 06:58:45 PM

The ONLY thing that puzzled me was...Last year I never shot under 300 with lot 300325 and this year from the same box it shot 257.  I checked the temps and humidity from last year and here is the only difference.

This year....  59 degrees and 53% humidity

My guess would be the humidity had a larger past in it, from my patterning its always seemed to be more of a negative effect.
<- <- <= <- <- <- <-

gatrkyhntr70

Quote from: drum817 on March 29, 2011, 08:00:49 PM
Quote from: Spuriosity on March 29, 2011, 07:51:27 PM
Tough to read the lot# in the hull and wad pix, but the wad in the lower pic sure did hold up better than the one in the upper pic. As a handloader, there is no way I would use the wad from the upper pic without a mylar wrap to prevent those pellets from scrubbing through. That wad is not up to the task.

The top pic is lot # 300488 from 2011

The bottom pic is lot # 300325 from 2010

I know without putting a mic on it you can't "really" know....but the wad from #300325 (bottom pic)  does feel thicker to the touch.
I agree Im looking at 2 wads from each of these lot #'s.
<- <- <= <- <- <- <-

drum817

Sumtoy....here ya go...the wad on the left is the #300325(2010)

SumToy

Looks like we will need to rework the choke for this.  Now with that said we have had good numbers with the new shell.  Now with that said I did see low numbers this year when we started to test.  I looked at the temp as the problem.  I did not have a old wad and had not played with them enuff to remember what the old wad looked like.  So I started over with the chokes.   

Now the softer wad will rip more as we get more into the warmer days. 

joshua

Good deal Drum.  When I shoot the 7s the wad is ripped around the edges something fierce.  I would think the choke is causing it but who knows.  The wad you have from last years lot looks just like the wads I have from the 6s I've been shooting both new and old.  
Turkeys are as smart as hunters make em and public land offers more classes.
George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

cannonball