turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

11-87 barrel length

Started by Tsawyer340, January 31, 2016, 06:24:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tsawyer340

I currently have a 870 sps with the shur shot stock and 23" barrel. I'm looking build a similar setup in a 11-87. I'm finding plenty of guns for sale with the 26 or 28" barrel, and 23" replacement barrels are available. Will there be a noticeable difference between the different barrel lengths? Just trying to figure if I should plan on buying the replacement barrel or if it would be a waste of money.

dirt road ninja

I went from a 24 to a 26 and noticed 0 improvement.  I've had 0 trouble getting a 21 inch tube to pattern. At this point a cant see the need for a turkey gun with anything longer than a 24. Today's ammo and chokes can  make just about any gun a legit 40 yard super star. That's my 2 cents worth. Buy what makes you happy, the birds won't notice.

nyhunter

the only time you really notice the longer barrel is moving threw the thicker woods. there is a little added weight but not much. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a gun with a longer barrel especially if you get a good deal on it. I had a 1187 with a 26" barrel and it patterned very good with the old Federal turkey loads. If you already have a short barreled gun I wouldn't waste the money on a short barrel for the 1187.

BandedSpur

My 1187 wears a 26" barrel, my preferred length in a repeating shotgun. The 28" is a bit unwieldy to me outside a duck blind. If I could buy a 26" barreled gun, I would certainly not spend extra money for a shorter replacement barrel for it.

Tsawyer340

The gun I'm currently looking at has a 28" barrel. The 870 is the only turkey gun I've ever had so I just wanted to be sure there wouldn't be a huge difference with longer barrel.