turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

thank goodness,deer season over and now to real hunting

Started by loner, January 31, 2016, 11:16:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

loner

it was a long deer season and did not take a deer after 12-18-2016. in fact,i never saw a deer the last three weeks except from my truck going to or leaving my parking spot.it seems that the corn baiting properties ajoining the property i hunt had all the deer held in their areas like the hay held the cows where i hunt.sadly,the turkeys went to the same places.now that the baiting deer is over,i am hoping to start seeing the toms start hitting the pastures to start the process.spring is my favorite time of the year.i am hopeful i can take my limit agin for the 24th consectutive season.my age and legs are making it harder each year but i seem to gain in health every spring. ;D
just an ole' retired man that still believes in values,and common courtesy.

OldSchool

I hear 'ya. I like my deer hunting, bow hunting especially, but it just isn't the same as turkey hunting.

I can relate. A lifetime of hard physical labor took It's toll on me. I need to have both knees replaced, surgery on both rotator cuffs and something done with some herniated and ruptured discs at some point. When turkey season rolls around, it all seems to hurt a little less. ;D

I like your signature line too, by the way. Those are two of the things I've always prided myself on, but like many other things, they seem to be becoming a thing of the past.

Good luck!

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

MK M GOBL

Quote from: OldSchool on January 31, 2016, 11:40:11 AM
I hear 'ya. I like my deer hunting, bow hunting especially, but it just isn't the same as turkey hunting.

I can relate. A lifetime of hard physical labor took It's toll on me. I need to have both knees replaced, surgery on both rotator cuffs and something done with some herniated and ruptured discs at some point. When turkey season rolls around, it all seems to hurt a little less. ;D

I like your signature line too, by the way. Those are two of the things I've always prided myself on, but like many other things, they seem to be becoming a thing of the past.

Good luck!

Bob

Right on the money, I may not be the same "age" as you gentlemen but I was raised to say "please and thank you, ma'am and sir"  and you'll understand what I mean. I won't get on my rant of the breakdown in values and respect we are seeing but proud to say I am who I am because of my parents.

It's about the hunt, who we share it with and the memories we take home with us, a bird is just the bonus. Hope you have a great season!

MK MGOBL

Happy

I am with you fellows. I like my archery hunting and had a good year. Anymore I refer to rifle season as meat collection time. Was furtunate to take 3 with the bow and ten finished up with a rifle. My oldest boy took two also with his rifle. Our freezer was full so I had the guns cleaned and put away before Christmas. Wasn't sad about it either. And I am with you on the values of people today. And personally I blame the parents. To many of them are worried about being friends with their children and not parents. Heck when my daughter has friends over they are amazed that we eat at a table together and discuss each others day. No tv or electronic devices are allowed. We stay involved with our children and it shows. Good old fashioned family values are becoming a rarity these days. It's sad.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Double B

Weirdest thing happened this year.  Deer season was off the charts for a change.   Took a nice 10 w crossbow (getting older crossed into the dark side, w old shoulder injuries lol), son took a ridiculous 10 in same stand opening day of gun.  Took 2 does also. 
You'd think success would temper a fella.   Nah.  Now suffering from early onset turkey fever very badly.   Anybody know which of the lower 48 opens earliest?     
Followed by buzzards

Yoder409

Yessir, fellers !!! 

Had a BANNER deer season............ My little gal killed her first deer.  I connected on a nice P&Y 8pointer, then finished out with a nice fat doe with my flintlock on New year's morning.

But GIMME April !!!!!!!!!!!        :z-guntootsmiley: :z-guntootsmiley:
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

born2hunt

I honestly started turkey hunting to pass the time till deer season re-opened. Now during the fall I seem to just get distracted scouting for spring.
I had a decent season but I pretty much quit about a month and a half early with turkeys on my brain.
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

dirt road ninja

Quote from: Double B on January 31, 2016, 07:27:13 PM
Anybody know which of the lower 48 opens earliest?   

South Florida. March 5th I think.

Mississippi and Bama on the 15th.

VAHUNTER

Deer season was pretty tough here in VA. No mast at all.
And the fact that i went bow only this year only made it that much tougher.
But we had a good season. Had plenty of shot oppurtunity's but only took two.
A decent 8 and a doe. I did smoke a great longbeard at 25yds while walking out
one day at noon. that was the high light of my season!!

Hopefully the birds i watched all fall will stick around until Spring. If so it should
be a banner season  :icon_thumright:
Good things come to those who wait

LaLongbeard

I do love to bowhunt deer ,but Turkey Hunting is on a whole nother level.If I had to make a choice there'd be no contest.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

turkeyfoot

Deer hunting to me is just way of getting little exercise and kill some time till turkey season starts I get further away from deer every year turkey has always been king in my house

Muzzy61

I hear you. 45 more day here in N. Florida.
Deer and college football is over and I'm bored to death.

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

WisTurk

Over the last couple of years, I too seem to anticipate turkey season much more than deer.

tree-rat sniper

Quote from: WisTurk on February 02, 2016, 02:07:45 PM
Over the last couple of years, I too seem to anticipate turkey season much more than deer.

Same here, deer season seems to bring out the worst in people (and the one weekend warriors).
NRA Life Member/Pistol Instructor, NWTF, SCI (former DU, VHA & HHI).  Non Gratum Anus Rodentum!

tomstopper

Quote from: Phillipshunt on February 01, 2016, 05:05:00 AM
I do love to bowhunt deer ,but Turkey Hunting is on a whole nother level.If I had to make a choice there'd be no contest.
Bingo....  :z-winnersmiley: