turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Using a Router For Checkering On Box Call

Started by Stoner, December 28, 2016, 03:09:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stoner

I have tried several times to use a wood chisel to checker the sides of box call. I have never been happy with the end result. Does anyone use a router to do the checkering? Do you use a jig to keep your lines straight? Also what bevel router bit would you use? I thought about using a smaller handheld router like a Dremel or a larger Bosch Colt router or something similar along with some type of jig to keep the checkering uniform. Thanks

KentuckyHeadhunter

Using the Dremel router attachment tool is a serious pain  to me and I would think it would be difficult to do on the small surface area on the side or lid of a box call.  Checkering is an art form but with practice and proper guidance I think you can get better.  Where do you live?  I know a guy who would gladly give you advice. 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Stoner

Thanks for the response. I am down in Osceola Country in west central Florida. The biggest problem I have is getting the checkering done where it looks neat.

TennesseeJed

My brother-in-law has used a dremel to checker gun stocks a couple of times, it turned out nice. It kinda looks more like the stippling that people are doing to handgun grips than traditional checkering though.

I don't have near enough patience to attempt something like that.

pauld

Follow the craft, learn the right way and do it by hand. It's just practice, practice, practice. That's what makes it an art though. Practice and learn.

hunter22

Quote from: pauld on January 16, 2017, 04:05:28 PM
Follow the craft, learn the right way and do it by hand. It's just practice, practice, practice. That's what makes it an art though. Practice and learn.

You would be surprised at how many are machine checkering their boxes. Some callmakers will tell you up front they do them with a machine. Others don't.

Stoner

Quote from: hunter22 on January 16, 2017, 07:43:58 PM

You would be surprised at how many are machine checkering their boxes. Some callmakers will tell you up front they do them with a machine. Others don't.

I suspect you are right about that.

Pettit877

Your checkering will only be as good as your layout.....

Sharp chisels, crisp lines, consistency.   

There is not a piece of wood in my shop that doesn't have a few checkers on it.   Keep at it.

Eric

Brantley

I use chisels myself. I also draw a line on the chisel so I know when it's at the right depth, and I cut a piece of scrap that's flat on the bottom and cut at the angle I want. I use the scrap on my offset layout lines to maintain the correct angle.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep... just like my grandfather. Not screaming, like the people in his car.

pauld

Quote from: hunter22 on January 16, 2017, 07:43:58 PM

Oh trust me, I know. LOL! I know how to tell when I'm looking at them too. The untrained eye can't see the difference but when you learn how a chisel cuts wood compared to a bit you can start seeing it. LOL! And you are right about that too.