OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Question For the Custom Call Consumer.......

Started by Sanatorium, March 29, 2011, 05:19:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sanatorium

Most all of you folks here on OG know me and my work making calls. I put my heart and a piece of me into everyone one of them......I truely enjoy the art of call making and wood turning. It gives me pleasure to create works of art for you folks here. Do you think that my prices are fair for you as the consumer, I try to keep prices as fair as I can with out me as the maker and you as the consumer feeling cheated. I have looked around and found that what I charge for calls is a little under par. But I would rather have the average joe be able to afford what I make or not be afraid to place an order with me and not be in fear of paying a lot. Sure it would be sweet to make more money for for sales. Everything I do get mostly goes right be into my shop for materials. Second question for all of you, I have some really cool ideas coming to light for tricking out calls with out  sacrificing sound. Do you think some of the calls I make are to overboard in the astetics dept or should I keep them plain and simple. I really like the fluteing I have been doing on the trumpets as I feel it makes me stand out a little from other call makers....not putting anyone down as to their skill in any way. I just like pushing my limits to my ability and creating magic in the shop......just wait till you see one of the new trumps I have been designing the mouth piece to me is something more durable and hopep[leaseing to the consumer............please let me know what you think and comment on this post good or bad. I can take constructive comments.

Sanatorium
Let Your Crazy Out

blacky

I know exactly where you are coming from because I have been told I sell my calls to cheap.
In my opinion, a callmaker has to know how much time and money he has invested in a particular call and set his price, accordingly.
I may make some people mad with this next statement but it is not none of my business or anyone else's what you charge for a product.
I make custum calls but I am mostly interested in making calls to hunt with and not to be collected. I also know that a lot of the personalized calls I have made are sitting on a shelf or in a display cabinet. I have never got into fancy designs so my calls are priced less than other peoples.

That's my 2 cents.
A  full line of calls.
www.genesturkeycalls.com

savduck

I havent noticed prices, But I think you make some cool looking calls.
Georgia Boy

otis

:you_rock: :z-guntootsmiley: :you_rock: :z-guntootsmiley:

you do a great job

otis

bad0351

I have only had dealings...(so far) with one call maker on the OG....but from the craftsmanship I recieved and the pictures I see on here...the calls made available to us by ALL you fellas far exceed in value the price paid....keep up the great work and as is always the case, you get what you pay for....

Dale
Sometimes...all a man has left is his dog.....

keyser12ga

I have only purchased a crow call from you, but when I did, I justified it as it was a custom call for just a few dollars more than a production.  I am very satisfied with the call you made and knowing what I know now, it is worth every penny if not more.  What can aesthetics hurt if there is no difference in quality?  Do both when you have the time, some will pay for aesthetics and some will buy the bare bones, not that those aren't lookers too!

selinoid44

Dude lets see some of that inner talent! Bring it on man. Lets see what you got in the bag. I love to see artistic talent. Let your wild out. If I get an idea I think is cool, I'm gonna do it. Price on calls for me is about what I can do to help others out and I love that people are enjoying my creations and showing them off to others. Thats fullfilment enough for me. I charge what I think I should and most people don't even bat an eye. Could I charge more? Of course, and sometimes I do if I have more time involved, say for a call stand, laminate calls or if I bought some exotic wood. I hope that helps you out.
Charlie @ 'Flush Draw' Calls

'Flush Draw' Calls
Charlie Louthain
574-527-9785

Hillbilly280

Little brother you do some off the wall turning and that is a good thing keep doing what you are doing and keep your skills coming dont slack off man you have a gift so use it.I like the way you come up with diff things makes your calls stand out.SO KEEP IT UP MAN.You love what you are doing that is what makes a good call maker bro.

Bobby
VANOVER GAME CALLS

VanHelden Game Calls

Don't worry about the "right $". 

Its easy to know if you are charging enough.

Are you happy?  If so your right on track.

I price mine how I feel about the call and customer.  If I want the call I charge more to let it go.  If I like the customer I charge less.  Its not a business for me.  And to those that get annoyed by that  :goofball:

pappy

HA........I THINK YOU CHARGE WAY TOO MUCH FOR YOUR JUNK.....I WOULDN'T BUY ONE OF THOSE RUSTED OLD PIECES OF PUT TOGETHER WATCHA-MA-CALLITS OF YOURS WITH A PILE OF ALUMINUM CANS....I WOULD RATHER SPEND MY HARD EARNED CASH ON A GOOD CALLMAKER'S CALLS, LIKE......PAPPY.......NOW THERE'S A GREAT CALL FOR A DECENT PRICE...YEP...I RECCOMEND HIS CALLS......UH-HUH...SURE WOULD.........hope you got a laugh there CB.....I agree that we set our prices according to what we input itno our calls...I know you are 110% into yours as I am in mine, I really do not do this to make a living, but I enjoy helping others, be it with being able to buy a great call atan affordable price or help someone get started in making calls..it doesn't matter to me. You just keep on making those hunks of turkey and let the world worry about what you charge...pappy

my first call that sold for over 40.00 ........

but this is what it is all about....
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

shootumindaface

Call price for me is based solely on sound.. I personally could care less if the call maker has half an hour into a call or 20 hours.. I am willing to pay top dollar for sound unless there is something that sounds as good for less money..

Asking advice on your trumpets.. I personally cannot stand the ones with tons of lines or fancy designs, I am no trumpet person but the ones with more artistic work are worth less to me than one with a more simplistic design and similar sound.

runngun

I am with shootem on this one. I really like to see the natural grain of the wood. Plain without "bling". But I do know there are folks that like the "bling" so there is a demand for them. But I just like my calls simple. To me wood in its self is a work of art, it don't need much help to be pretty.
As far as pricing, keep them cheap as you can, but I also would bet if you went up 10-20 dollars you would not see a decrease in your sales, because people dont mind paying for the kind of quality you guys produce (all of yall)
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Hillbilly280

Bro with what has been said sound should be first and foremost in any call a call maker makes and i know your calls sound awesome.Make both kinds plain and simple and the ones with the bling bling cause both will sell.For the fancy ones that take a lot of time and trouble to make charge more for them you have a lot of time in them and it is worth the money you get for them.I like seeing the nice wood grain and I like the bling.That being said we dont make a living at this we do it cause we love to make a nice call that someone wants. So have a good time and turn them out. :you_rock:

Bobby
VANOVER GAME CALLS

smurf

Your calls over the top?  OF course they are and that's what makes your calls great not like that ordinary stuff like what' his name(I won't mention Pappy just to be nice).  I enjoy looking at every call you make and scratching my head and saying "how'd he do that?"  Don't stop now.  Don't know much about price I give most of mine away. 
If you can't stand behind our troops.  Feel free to stand in front of them.