OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Strikers

Started by wmn2, January 24, 2016, 08:54:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wmn2

I just purchased my first slate on here and it comes with a purpleheart and a cherry striker. Will these work on my glass call as well? Right now I have a laminate striker with the glass call and was looking at something else to use with it so I figured these may come in handy not only on the slate, but my glass call as well.

Thanks for the help

davisd9

Purpleheart will work great. Other great woods are bubinga, yellow heart, and monkey wood.

Do yourself a favor and get a cedar striker for that slate. My buddy dirt road ninja turned me on to it and I am a full believer now.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

mgm1955

My number one striker on any surface is a Lyman snakewood.

hunter22

Quote from: mgm1955 on January 24, 2016, 09:04:00 PM

Good choice.

Jgarrett

Quote from: mgm1955 on January 24, 2016, 09:04:00 PM

I'll second, third, and fourth that!!!!! The best striker made, hands down.
John Garrett IV
The Panhandle of Florida

drenalinld

I have to say that mine is always with me.

Jbird22

Along with a Dad's Purpleheart, I really like Tulipwood, Yellowheart, and Canarywood by Fred Cox for all purpose strikers. I also have a two piece Snakewood by Harold Fowler that's awesome.

greentag

a dads rainbow laminate is another good all purpose striker,from aluminum all the way down to slate,it runs them all well.

wmn2

Thanks for all the replies! Another question, what is the advantage of a flared tip over a regular one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davisd9

Preference

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Jgarrett

Quote from: wmn2 on January 25, 2016, 01:33:28 AM
Thanks for all the replies! Another question, what is the advantage of a flared tip over a regular one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Flare tip is typically easier to play
John Garrett IV
The Panhandle of Florida

scoot12

Lymans snakewood,  it is flat out awesome.

sbbow

Bill Lyman's snake wood !!!
AKA -callmakerman on here

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thundermtn

Quote from: JBIRD22 on January 24, 2016, 10:03:07 PM
Along with a Dad's Purpleheart, I really like Tulipwood, Yellowheart, and Canarywood by Fred Cox for all purpose strikers. I also have a two piece Snakewood by Harold Fowler that's awesome.

Dad's PH striker is the best I've ever played for glass and crystal. Need to try a cedar for my next stick.

Bowguy

I agree with Snakewood and tulip being two great woods. Don't overloook Harold Fowler, very reasonable n great strikers