OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

2 3/4" turkey load ? Suggestions please

Started by 870BkWht, January 19, 2016, 09:58:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

870BkWht

I'm planning on taking my 10 year old son hunting this spring. He's been with me turkey hunting before but he never carried a gun. He's been out squirrel hunting several times but it's time to let him experience some spring turkey.

I have several 3" turkey loads for the 20 but Im looking for something with a bit less recoil. The gun likes #6 and #7 really well and I'm open to any kind of shell but HTL isn't a necessity as I am going to limit his shots to 30 yards or so.

Just looking for some suggestions for a good 2 3/4" load suitable for turkey.

Thanks
Ben

gaswamp

nothing wrong with Federal HWT 2 3'/4 #7's in the 20...had 3 different kids take a gobbler past two years with this shell

surehuntsalot

with the right choke any of the big 3 ammo  companies 2-3/4" high brass #6's will do the job out to 30 yds with no problem
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Eric Gregg

Quote from: gaswamp on January 19, 2016, 10:20:17 PM
nothing wrong with Federal HWT 2 3'/4 #7's in the 20...had 3 different kids take a gobbler past two years with this shell
[/quote
:agreed:

OldSchool

I've been shooting a 2 3/4" 20 gauge for 36 years. I shot Winchester 2 3/4" magnum lead 6's for quite a while, but switched to Remington Express lead 7.5's about ten years ago and I've had no problems. In my humble opinion, you don't need a cannon to kill birds at the ranges we should be shooting. :z-twocents:

Find a load that patterns well and that your son can shoot comfortably, keep your shots close and don't forget to have fun. Good luck!

Bob

Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

jakesdad

My oldest (9) shoots Winchester 2 3/4 7 1/2 field loads with a standard full choke. Patterns decent to 25 but usually like to hold him to 20 or less. Remember theres more fun in "how close" than there is in "how far"!!

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

surehuntsalot

Quote from: jakesdad on January 22, 2016, 02:16:23 PM
My oldest (9) shoots Winchester 2 3/4 7 1/2 field loads with a standard full choke. Patterns decent to 25 but usually like to hold him to 20 or less. Remember theres more fun in "how close" than there is in "how far"!!

exactly what I am talking about
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

poolboy

Hi All! My wife uses an 870 in 20ga with a Hastings choke. Her gun does exceptionally well with Rem Premier 2 3/4" Pheasant loads, in #6. They are copper plated lead, somewhat smaller than a traditional #6 shot, more on order of 6 1/2 shot. About 250 pellets/oz. Fast loads are not supposed to shoot well, but don't tell the gobblers she has shot! Puts up really great numbers at 30 yds. As someone said, lot more fun up close.