OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

VEST alternatives...

Started by kevin2, January 18, 2016, 11:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin2

I've worn a few vests now, and I'm thinking of trying some sort of pack, waste thingy, sling OR hybrid vest to tote my stuff around while Turkey hunting this year. Any suggests?
I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

MK M GOBL

I have really cut down on what I carry with me. I found out what works for me and I am all about performance, with that said I am using a Badlands Magnetic Fanny Pack. Holds everything I need other than my DSD's and I bag those in. Can't believe what I used to think I "had" to have with me and what my vest weighed before I had a bird to carry out. Now when I go all in on some hunts things are setup days in advance and that's a different story.

MK M GOBL

Here's a pic of that pack

Gobble!

I tried what I think was called the beard buster run and gun belt but missed the good seat and back pads on the Cabelas TatR vests.

jepcho

I just purchased the quick sack from Tom teasers, which is almost identical to my buddies brossie bag. I like it although I've never hunted with it. The real test will come in a couple months when I carry it during youth season when I take my little brother out.

davisd9

HS Strut Call Pouch

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

GomerPyle

You'll pry my vest from my cold, dead hands.  At this point, it's almost like a security blanket....I just feel naked without it.  I like having a seat pad attached and I like how everything (calls, etc) are in their own spot, in the same place all the time.
[From a buddy re: turkey hunting]
"the best advice I can give you is to run from it like it's crystal meth"

catman529

I never have used a vest and don't want to... sometimes a small pack is useful and sometimes just cargo pants work. I carry at least one camera and tripod in the woods so any extra gear to go with that might need a pack. Other than the filming gear I just use a shotgun, extra shells, 2 or 3 calls, a snack and/or water and TP.

paboxcall

Ditched the vest couple years ago, and use a fanny pack with shoulder straps.  And a lot of times like catman its just what I can carry in the cargo pockets or around my neck.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Eric Gregg

I'm switching from a vest to a small pack this year. I realized 90% of the stuff I have I don't ever use. I need my gun, shells, and my Woodhaven mouth calls and I'm good to go. I have a fold down seat that I take with me and that's it

kevin2

I was hoping to hear more alternatives & the models that everyone is actually using in place of those vests. TTT it goes!
I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

Greg Massey

It all depends on if you are a person who runs and guns or a person who just makes a couple of good blinds and hunts from them. i don't run and gun anymore and what i carry is a camo range bag that has a lot of pockets and at each end there is a place for 2 water bottles. I took the ends of the bag and that holds my box calls and inside of the bag has lot's of room for calls etc.  i also have a shoulder camo bag with waist bed that has a lot of pockets that i use also.. You can find these on ebay, just go to Range Bags and the shoulder bag with waist belt go to camo tactical bags...

SKFOOTER

Check out the Turkey Thugs Fanny Pack at Wal Mart. :OGturkeyhead:

greentag

I start out the season wearing a super elite 3,its a great vest with plenty of pocket room,and a good seat.i usually run and gun and if I haven't tagged out the first week or so and the weather starts getting hot,i start just putting a call or two in my cargo pant pockets and a mouth call and leaving the vest at home and using one of those free bags they hand out at the nashville convention each year,last year they were orange bass pro bags so that one doesn't get used but I have a black weaver optics one that is great for food and water if im going for the long haul,sometimes I hide it in the woods and not pack it then come back to it a little later.the vest I have is great though ,but its only downfall is that it gets hot,when the temps go up.

RutnNStrutn

I use the Beard Buster Belt. I added a couple of more pouches onto it though to help me carry all the stuff I use.

fountain2

Tom teaser quick sack is where it's at