OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Who thinks Magnum Blend for 20 gauge is any advantage over other loads?

Started by R AJ, March 29, 2011, 12:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R AJ

For those who have made this purchase, who has found better patterns or anything other than increased velocity to make them choose Magnum Blend over other shells? What choke diameter worked best ,if any?

I am especially interested in knowing if they pattern better than the H-13 #6 shell in the 10 per box count. It shouldn't be that hard to do.

whiskey

I switched my daughter to the blends from 3" #5 lead and as you would expect the pattern was more dense from the increased number of pellets. I just skipped trying the 6 and 7 straight loads due to the good pattern the blends gave. I am happy with a consistent pattern with good density and that's what they gave. The fact that I get the added advantage of the load being a tri-plex is just icing for me.

SKFOOTER

surehuntsalot

A friend of mine gave me several magblend shells after he tried them in his 20ga 1187,he didn't like them all that much and told me I could have them if I wanted them.
I tried them in my 870 with a .570 Tightwad choke and they turned out to be a great combo, my laptop crashed a month or so ago, but as soon as I can I will try to find some of the pattern pic's
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

heartofdixie

Last year, I was getting terrible patterns with MagBlends outta my 20ga using an Indian Creek choke.  I switched to Federal HW #7s...Wow, what a difference.  I'm never going back.  Smoked 5 birds last year, 3 of them 40yds +.

magnumgray

All I know is that at a little over 40 yards they can knock  turkeys end over end .... I like the idea of having those #5 's in there for a real punch ....  the truth is with my over and under i shoot 2/3 of my birds at 25 yds or less with modified choke a #6 lead

surehuntsalot

Quote from: magnumgray on January 29, 2015, 10:47:23 AM
All I know is that at a little over 40 yards they can knock  turkeys end over end .... I like the idea of having those #5 's in there for a real punch ....  the truth is with my over and under i shoot 2/3 of my birds at 25 yds or less with modified choke a #6 lead

I know what you mean, over 70% of the birds that I have taken could have been killed with a 2-3/4" high brass #6
it's not the harvest,it's the chase