turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

how does this pattern look

Started by huntmaster80, January 17, 2016, 07:40:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

huntmaster80

I shot a little to the right, but overall how do you guys think this pattern looks? I shot this at 40 yards with #9tss and a 26" m2. I have 157 in the circle, but #s dont really matter to me, Im more interested in killing birds.

dirt road ninja

Shift your circle a couple inches to the right and see what you have. What load you using the 1.625 oz.? If your only concerned with killing a bird don't worry about it, your good.

huntmaster80

surehuntsalot

looks good to me, I would hunt with it in a minute :icon_thumright:
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

gophert

Shoot the pattern, then circle the most dense part of the pattern, count the holes. 

What choke are you using?  That gun consistently puts up 300+ with that load and the right choke.  Something is not right if your getting half that.  Sure, that will kill turkeys but you could get that with a much cheaper factory load. 

Sent from my typewriter

huntmaster80

I shot that pattern using a Sumtoy 562-5.  I took 3 TSS shells total with me to the range as I was just sighting me gun in. After I had my gun shooting where I wanted it. I shot one with a sumtoy and one with my factory full choke and last one at 40 with a sumtoy .  My factory and sumtoy were very similar at 25 with TSS.  Then the one pictured at 40 with the sumtoy. I think I'll look into different choke options for my gun shell combo. Any suggestions?

davisd9

I got between 215 and 248 with a 500 and factory full at 40 yards with that load. You should be able to do much better. I agree in not chasing numbers but as said you can get that with a good choke and factory shells. Some mention an IC for that gun, tighter than I care for though.

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

gophert

I would get a Carlsons .575 and .585....I'm thinking the 585 would be the better hunting pattern...if you like the 300 in 10" go with the 575....carlsons are around $30...one of the best values when shooting TSS.  Even though they are good chokes...Indian Creek and Sumtoy costs too much for TSS

Sent from my typewriter

deadbuck

I shoot the 1 6/8 oz load of TSS9 instead of 1 5/8 through a weatherby 20 ga with factory choke and get 233 in the 10 inch and another 232 in the 20 inch. You can do way better than what you are doing right now with a little experimentation.

OldSchool

Looks to me like you better make sure your knife is sharp. When you get a bird in front of you, you're gonna need it. :icon_thumright:

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

Tommythreetoes

If the circle was shifted 4-5" to the right, you'd probably have 200 in the 10.  Another 200 in the 20 would be an absolutely perfect pattern IMO. 

I see guys posting 4-5 pictures at a time with 300-370 in the 10"......but pic one was high, pic 2 low, pic 3 left...you get the picture.  If you can't put all of that swarm on his head, then it was all for nothing.  I personally want a twenty inch circle that I can't put a turkey head in without him being dead.  Nice even 20" pattern is what I would hope to achieve.  I think your pattern looks pretty good!

Dr Juice

Great pattern. Just move it to the right but I would take another shot first to verify it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tommythreetoes

Just curious.  Was this load using the SAM wad?

owlhoot

nothing wrong with that combo right there !

poa/poi shift and your real good .

snapper1982

Yep as said shoot and then draw the circle. You have way more in your 10 inch pattern than what is in your circle. You do not need a new choke. Make a new circle and then count.