OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

New here

Started by wmn2, January 13, 2016, 09:34:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wmn2

I just wanted to stop in and say hi and introduce myself. I'm brand new to turkey hunting. Tried it about 10 years ago, but due to lack of birds where I lived in Ohio, I never really got into it. I moved to upstate SC summer of 2014 and am jumping into turkey season with both feet this spring. I've got a lot of questions, but will put them into the specific forums so as not to clog up this area. I hunt 100% public land right now. I'm a huge deer hunter (bow only) and can't wait to see what the turkey fever is all about.

Again, just wanted to say hi.

Smooth_Operator

Welcome, what part of the upstate? I'm in the Clemson area, if you have any questions feel free to ask...

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep,  
But I have promises to keep,  
And miles to go before I sleep,  
And miles to go before I sleep."

paboxcall

"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

wmn2

I live around Williamston. Travel to Clemson a good bit. I have a boat on Hartwell and I hunt out at Fant's Grove. Have been contemplating going into Fant's from the lake side for some time now.

Smooth_Operator

Sweet, I don't hunt Fant's as much as I used to, have a couple leases that I hunt normally.  I will venture out there for a quick hunt if I don't have time to drive to them though.  Used to do a good bit of hunting by way of boat for turkey and deer in Fant's. When it gets closer to the season opener give me a shout and I'll point you in the direction of a few places I've had good success in the past...

wmn2

I greatly appreciate it. I had a 10 point on camera out there this year that was around 130" that i just couldn't close the deal on. Had another baby Nov 19th, so that was the end of my deer season. Hoping he made it and is even bigger next year. I have a lot of turkeys on cam too, but no gobblers, all hens.

Smooth_Operator

I had a deer very similar to that description come within 30 yards of me in Fant's back in November, was hunting a thicket and couldn't get a shot on him. And btw, Nov. 19th is my birthday. A good day I'd say  :jackson:

kansas hooks

kyturkeyhunter4

Bowguy

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

fallhnt

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Gamblinman

"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

Tail Feathers

:welcomeOG:

Welcome to our addiction!  Come often and talk turkey with us. :icon_thumright:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

tomstopper