turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New to pot calls

Started by Spyder, January 13, 2016, 08:20:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spyder

So I would like to get a nice pot call, but don't have a clue about the different materials, the sounds they make or how easy they are to use. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good pot, with good sound that is a good starter? Or for that matter, just advice on choosing one of the many combinations? Thank you guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MK M GOBL

Lots of custom calls out there and price ranges to boot, if you are shopping off the shelf there are some good calls out there and effective. I will tell you I have ended more turkeys with my ( Cody World Class Slate ) than any other I have and for over 20 years. For me performance over pretty rules every time for my "Hunting" calls. Collector calls are another story...

MK M GOBL

Gobbleandgrunt

I have a Cody world class slate. Sounds great, with that being said, there is a pile of great makers that are custom that can give you what you like in a call a lot cheaper. World class will set you back 175.00 if he has one. start with the sound file section. Find a call you like and dig on it.

dirt road ninja

I'd start with a good slate. Slate, at least IMO, is the easiest to run and the least picky with strikers. I also feel it gives you the most room for error. There are a number of builders here that turn good ones. The two slates I carry the most are made by Lights Out Custom Calls and by Cane Creek Customs. For under 40 bucks the Cane Creek is a lot of call. You could shop on here and just pick one you like the looks of and get a good slate. Their down fall is they don't run wet.

jed clampett

YouTube has lots of videos of glass slate crystal calls just punch something up alot of valuable info for someone just startin out
Might give ya some ideas

Bowguy

I'm not discounting the slate advice but personally I'd recommend glass or Crystal for a first call simply cause they will work better damp.
If you wanna get something cheap, Cody's name has been mentioned before but his glass calls are halfway decent n reasonable at I think like 40 bucks.
Many call makers aren't much more than that n imo you will get a better call.
Some glass/Crystal calls you can look into are Schaffers mad hen, Halloran's Crystal mistress (sooner or later you'll wind up w that call), Mark Cornelious glass, SS Crystal heat, Brad Roberts glass. All good calls n ones you can get before season. Another maker I might add to look into is Lonzo. I'm sure can even find others harder to get in the classifieds. Good luck

Jgarrett

Lonnie Sneed Hot hen slate is a great call that is very reasonable on price and you can get them fairly quickly
John Garrett IV
The Panhandle of Florida

mgm1955

Quote from: Jgarrett on January 14, 2016, 05:24:46 PM
Lonnie Sneed Hot hen slate is a great call that is very reasonable on price and you can get them fairly quickly
Great advice!

Thundermtn

The Sneed- Outlaw Hen and Halloran- crystal mistress are both affordable and great sounding. The mistress is also the easiest pot call to play that ive ever used as far as it not wanting to play bad notes even if you have a mistake with your striker.

Thundermtn

Experiment with different strikers too. I have tons of them in a several kinds of woods and shapes and hands down my favorite for glass and crystal surfaces is my flair tip Dad's calls purple heart. I have a bunch of other ph strikers but this one rules the roost.