turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Why or why not #6 Win LB?

Started by WNCTracker, January 11, 2016, 08:54:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WNCTracker

I grew up shooting #4's but switched to #5's with the 3.5" longbeards since they came out. After reading in her so many people used 6's I'm considering #6's but am wondering if I'm getting caught up in the numbers game rather than practical hunting. Can anybody tell me why I shouldn't go to 6's?   Opinions?

paboxcall

You should shoot whatever your particular gun / choke prefer based on your own pattern tests.  I shoot Hevi #7, some shoot TSS #9, some shoot lead #4.

There's no right or wrong answer, no better or worse, just pick what your gun and your choke patterns best.   :icon_thumright:

"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

hs strut

paboxcall answered it pretty well but id like to add if you pattern the #6s and they give a solid pattern use them.id say 40yds and under hes a dead bird i use the #4 lbxrs and not because i want to completely obliterate a toms head they just shoot well in my gun. i would also say if your gun has a good pattern with the #5s use em it comes down to your gun and what load choke it prefers.
may god bless the ethical and responsible hunters and to everybody kill a big one.  jerry

WNCTracker

This is my best #5 pattern at 35-40 paced yards. It's not very even.

WNCTracker

It seems that 6's would be better yet but I want to make sure they'll kill.  835 with IC choke 3.5" LB shells.

hs strut

Quote from: johnplesh on January 12, 2016, 09:37:45 AM
It seems that 6's would be better yet but I want to make sure they'll kill.  835 with IC choke 3.5" LB shells.
if your gun has a solid pattern with the #6s they will kill 40 yds and in im not going to go into shooting past 40yds imo it shouldnt be attempted.i know guys kill past 40yds but as i have said many times i feel there are to many variables all im saying is if the gun shoots a good pattern with them and you like them use them.
may god bless the ethical and responsible hunters and to everybody kill a big one.  jerry

Number17

I used #4 lead years ago myself and slowly gravitated to the 5s, 6s, and even 7s with hevi shot to get better pattern density.

Since these Longbeards came out, I've reverted and went back to a larger shot size. I have 4s and 5s now, but I think I'll only be purchasing 4s in the future. They both shoot a very dense even pattern out to 40 yards in my short barreled 870 and cheapo Truglo Gobblerstopper choke.

I couldn't ask it to shoot any better.  Not too tight, not too loose, and very even.......and I couldn't give a horse's rear end about the numbers game.
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

WNCTracker

Here is the long beard #6. Gave me 228 at 40 measured yards. I was only able to get 170 #5's today in the 10". I was surprised how much lower they shot on the target than the 5's. Took me a while to sight it in. From this pattern the POI was about 2"high and 3/4 right because I over adjusted the MOA in my red dot. So now it's 170#5 vs 228 #6?

The Woodsman

owlhoot

Quote from: johnplesh on January 16, 2016, 04:58:47 PM
Here is the long beard #6. Gave me 228 at 40 measured yards. I was only able to get 170 #5's today in the 10". I was surprised how much lower they shot on the target than the 5's. Took me a while to sight it in. From this pattern the POI was about 2"high and 3/4 right because I over adjusted the MOA in my red dot. So now it's 170#5 vs 228 #6?
Pattern counts in the 10" can go up and down and impact points can move slightly shot to shot.

A few points to consider are.
Temperature differences when you shot.
Barrel condition, clean or dirty from ones test pattern to another.
Lot numbers or  box to box variables .
So where did the 194 to 170 count go ? You might see if it is in the 11" circle area or so.
Good luck.

WNCTracker

Here is the 3" LB #6 out of the same gun and choke at 11 degrees colder and windy there were 211 in the 10" at 40 measures yards. Thoughts?

WNCTracker

Side by side. left is the 3.5" LB #6 and right is the 3" LB #6.

darn2ten

Just pick the one with the most even pattern and hunt. I've got a 3" gun that broke 200 with with a 3" LB #5. Heck of a dense pattern inside the 10, but not much to work with in the 20". When a bird gets inside 25 yards with that combo I get nervous because it don't take much to miss if I flinch just a little. You don't need anywhere close to 170 pellets in a 10" circle to kill a turkey. I've killed many with guns years ago that were lucky to put up 115 with 5's. Turkeys never knew the difference. I've killed a few with the LB 6's and promise you they will work out to 40 yards with no problem. Just pick the one with the most consistent even pattern and get after them.