turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Heads-up on a Woodhaven

Started by Snoody Bastid, March 28, 2011, 07:18:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snoody Bastid

Just wanted to give my O.G. brothers a little heads-up. Mackspw.com is selling the Woodhaven Cherry Classic Crystal calls for $59.99. I just picked one up myself. Thats the cheapest I ever saw these calls going for.
P.S. I have no affiliation with them.

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Scout24

I bought one off them at that price last year also. It was the cheapest I could find them. To be honest I was a little disappointed with my call after reading so many great reviews. Could be just my call but I have almost no rollover in my yelps and I'm thinking of sending it back to Woodhaven to have them check it out. My Halloran Crystal Mistress and even Primos Power Crystals have so much more drop off from high to low notes in my yelps than my Woodhaven.

drum817

Quote from: Scout24 on April 01, 2011, 11:22:04 AM
I bought one off them at that price last year also. It was the cheapest I could find them. To be honest I was a little disappointed with my call after reading so many great reviews. Could be just my call but I have almost no rollover in my yelps and I'm thinking of sending it back to Woodhaven to have them check it out. My Halloran Crystal Mistress and even Primos Power Crystals have so much more drop off from high to low notes in my yelps than my Woodhaven.

If you contact Woodhaven they will make it right....that's what I would do if I wasn't happy with the call.
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

crackshot

My brother had a cherry classic slate, and the slate cracked! With is from normal use, the call was NOT abused. He called about having it fixed and they told him it would be $25 plus shipping and no gaurantee on sound. For the price, theres alot of custom builders out there!

Snoody Bastid

Quote from: crackshot on April 01, 2011, 03:38:36 PM
My brother had a cherry classic slate, and the slate cracked! With is from normal use, the call was NOT abused. He called about having it fixed and they told him it would be $25 plus shipping and no gaurantee on sound. For the price, theres alot of custom builders out there!
Hey, I was just looking out for anybody who was in the market for one. A lot of people seem to rave about them.

Wolfpack

I have never seen a slate crack. I have seen some glass calls crack.
If the pot has to much moisture in it
you can get enough movement / warpage to crack the surface.
Leaving a call on your dash will not help either.

Every Callmaker I know would replace it at no charge its just good P.R.
I had a guy that ran over one of Dads Trumpets in a parking lot. We
made him a half price deal and he was well pleased.
Dewey

MarkJM

Quote from: Scout24 on April 01, 2011, 11:22:04 AM

was the call new when you bought it? I have several woodhaven calls and all of them still sound great with perfect rollovers, If you're looking for a great woodhaven call, i would just buy from their website. Sure its a little more money but you get what you pay for. IMO :smiley-char092:
MuellerCustomCalls

crackshot

Snoody Bastid,
No problem, and that is a great price on their calls. I have nothing persoanlly against Woodhaven. I also have never saw a slate crack, but it did. It was never left on a dash, or anything like that. He babies his calls.

lightsoutcalls

I have met Mike Pentecost and have a lot of respect for him as a person, and a person with a strong work ethic. 

I have replaced a few slate surfaces in calls I have sold, but only from the owners sitting on them or outright abuse.  One exception was an osage pot.  The wood was sold to me as having been air dried in a closed barn for years.  The wood was completely black/gray on the outside, which appeared to support the report of being stored for an extended period of time.  Within months after turning the call I received notice it had cracked.  When I received the call back, the wood had obviously warped to the point that the pot and the slate were cracked.  I'll never know exactly how the call was treated, but with that kind of damage, I made the guy a new call no questions asked. 

If I had a problem with the call, I would request to talk to Mike personally.  You might get a different outcome... not certain, but worth a try.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

crackshot

Wendell,
As a matter of fact, his woodhaven call rides right beside the slate/glass call you built him with no trouble.