OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Two sided pot call questions

Started by cleanslate, March 28, 2011, 07:16:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cleanslate

I have made a few in the past with hit or miss results as far as the underside surface sounding any good. I had an idea the other day that I would like to try but wanted to know if anyone had ever tried anything like this first so that I know wheather I should persue this idea or if it would be a waste of time & materials. So here's the idea I had: turn a call blank completely hollow leaving a shelf on both the top & bottom sides to set the two playing surfaces on. Drill holes in the sides of the call to run some dowells through to attatch a soundboard to for each calling surface. then drill some holes in the sides to let the sounds out. This design would have a seperate playing surface and soundboard for both sides of the call instead of the traditional style of useing the soundboard inside for the playing surface on the underside of the call. If anyone has ever attempted anything like this and would be willing to share any feedback as to wheather it sounded good or not I would greatly apreciate it.

cleanslate

Thanks, I think I will try one that way first.

MarkJM

I'm not sure how it would sound witohut a soundboard, it might be hollow and it could be the best sounding call you have ever made try it and let us know. th first call i ever made is hollow, glass on walnut. the pot is about 1 1/2 tall and 3 1/2  wide
MuellerCustomCalls

WillowRidgeCalls

I think Derby City Calls uses some thing like it in their double sided calls, you might want to check them out and see. They have a paten pending on their design so you might want to take a look?
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

WillowRidgeCalls

Interesting? They used to make a double, but I don't see it either. They must have dropped it when they bought out their new design?
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

cleanslate

Well I tried one useing two soundboards. Didn't sound good to me so I looked at all of the dimensions Nd will try making a few tweaks to it. Don't get me wrong, it sounded better than some commercial "walmart" calls that I'ver heard, so it was close. gonna try my hand at another one here soon I will keep you guys posted.

kenturkey89

I look forward to seeing some pics soon!
Brian

cleanslate

Quote from: kenturkey89 on April 12, 2011, 09:30:55 PM
I look forward to seeing some pics soon!

Soon as I get some that sound decent. I haven't been spending a lot of time in the shed here lately. It's been raining a lot here and the humidity has been wreaking havoc on my wood. Even the stuff that's been in the house that I KNOW is dry, I take it out to the shed, turn it, go out the next night & WHAMMO! Warped. I'll try another one either this week or next.

Roost Wrecker

I made a call similar to that last year but had a copenhagen lid in the bottom for looks and slate playing surface on top. I put the sound holes in the side. It didnt sound that good but i made one with aluminum playing surface and it sounded well, but neither one had soundboards. I believe they were made from walnut also.

cleanslate

Quote from: Roost Wrecker on April 13, 2011, 08:06:19 PM
I made a call similar to that last year but had a copenhagen lid in the bottom for looks and slate playing surface on top. I put the sound holes in the side. It didnt sound that good but i made one with aluminum playing surface and it sounded well, but neither one had soundboards. I believe they were made from walnut also.

Yeah, the one that I made was cherry with walnut for the pedestal, glass/slate in the one side and alum/glass on the other. The alum side sounded terrible; the glass side, better.

Roost Wrecker

I tried putting a pedastal on the lid but sounded bad. Guess there was too much vibration.

cleanslate

Quote from: Roost Wrecker on April 13, 2011, 09:35:24 PM
I tried putting a pedastal on the lid but sounded bad. Guess there was too much vibration.

Yeah, I had thought of that but didn't think that it would sound good so I drilled holes in the side and inserted dowells into them, then trimmed them down flat on the two sides & used that as a pedestal.

DMP

You mean something like this?  

This is a double but don't have a pic of the other side.  Warbird makes this one.

cleanslate

Yeah, pretty much like that. I don't know if that one has any soundboards in it, but I am trying to make one that has 2 soundboards in it, one for each playing surface. Dang, I didn't know that anybody had made any like that, I should've figgured though.