turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

turning acrylic

Started by Spur806, November 14, 2015, 09:22:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spur806

Hey guys, having a hard time with turning acrylic blanks. Chips really bad and melting. I don't know what I am doing wrong. I've tried everything I know and it's not working out for me. Any tips would be appreciated.  I'm not a novice turner, it's really got me baffled. Thanks matt

mmclain

Do not use a scraper

Use a 3/8 spindle gouge.  Or a 1/2 spindle gouge I've heard carbide tools work well but I don't have a need to buy one.

Keep your tools properly sharp
If you are shattering it as you remove material your taking too much off.  If your melting it your tool is dull.  If you don't have an 8" slow speed grinder and a sharpening jig you need one. 

Spur806

Thanks I'll give it a shot

mastevt

I use all carbide chiesels.  Go slow.  Shallow cuts.  Take your time.  If your throwing chips, your taking too much at a  time.
When I turn acrylic, its a continuous stream like a spider web.

Sanatorium

I use my own carbide tool and a skew chisel....need to be sharp tools that's for sure.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

pappy

I have turned more acrylic then I would like to say...experienced so much over the years, chipping, breaking issues have always pointed to two things...too much force applied to the piece from the chisel...wrong parallel height with the cutting edge of the tool and the center line of the work piece. Always take your time....you are not in a race...patience is key to turning acrylic. Even parallel cuts across the length is so critical ... also check your height of the contact point of the chisel to your center line of the work piece. I set mine to less then .010" below the center...and this will change as the piece's diameter lessens, so you will also change you tool rest height accordingly.  We all know the importance of sharp tools, I polish mine that I turn acrylic with...why? ... less friction means less heat....even if you are careful about pressure applied rough sharpened tools will create more friction and grabbing opportunities. One thing that needs to be said....round nose scrapers say 3/4" .... are perfect for turning acrylic (after you have turned the square to a cylinder) using a spindle gouge to turn from square to cylinder is fine....but...with me I prefer the scraper to the gouge after the initial cylinder is formed. Also I take a create a reverse bevel on top of my scrapers for discharge of material coming off of the acrylic, this keeps the piece cooler during turning...I hope this helps...pappy
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206