News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Magnum Blend question

Started by Scottyb, March 28, 2011, 06:07:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scottyb

Shot some magnum blend today. 

I have an 835 with a undertaker hevi shot tube.  The pattern I am getting with the old Remington Hevi shot ( not waingmaster) 3 inch 1 5/8 #5 is pretty good. I get 178 pellets in a ten inch at 40.  I am running very low on these so I need some new stuff....

Today I shot  the magnum blend,  3 inch and after a slight adjustment to get the pattern centered, I got 148 pellets in a 10 inch at 40...

It was 40 degrees out and a slight breeze.

Now, my question is, how much better will the pattern get when it warms up? 

And, since it is not that impressive of a pattern, shold I wait and try it again when it gets warmer, or should I just go ahead and go to 3 1/2 inch Hevi 13 #6?
I dont want to shoot 7s so thats out and I cant afford a new choke....

Thoughts?
Mossy Oak Pro Staff...

BigPeck215

you should see your numbers go up into the low 170's when it warms up, i would stick with that shell and choke combo, 150's-170's is more than enough to kill a turkey, i would same my money trying other shells and stock up on the mag blends, looks like you've found a winning combo

Gobble!

Quote from: BigPeck215 on March 28, 2011, 07:13:27 PM
you should see your numbers go up into the low 170's when it warms up, i would stick with that shell and choke combo, 150's-170's is more than enough to kill a turkey, i would same my money trying other shells and stock up on the mag blends, looks like you've found a winning combo

I would say around 170 and that will do the job everytime. You never know EM might go back to their old wads next year and you will be above 200.

Spurman1985

I say get you some diffrent shells im done with the magnum blend hevi 13 #6 is a great shell if you a few more shot it may be better or worse the shells are very incostant if you have any scales you should weigh the shellsyou will find a big diffrance inthem  mine went from98.4 grams to 101.3 grams the hevier the waight the better the shot with them you willprobley get about 3 good shots out of 5 .......... Good luck with it
:cross2:

bigboy84

I have had nothing but bad luck with them. I know some have had good luck with them.  I would have some outstanding patterns and then it would not pattern. And that's with a polished barrel and cleaned every shot. Hope this helps.

mossy835

To me if the pattern is good 148 in 10 at 40 equals a turkey to smoke for sandwiches. I would not loose any sleep over those numbers and as others have said it will only get better as it warms up.
good luck and good hunting!