only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

CNH Boat paddle striker

Started by Bonjour, March 28, 2011, 05:41:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

culpeper

decoykrvr

Ryan,
I appreciate the kind sentiments, especially coming from a call maker of your caliber.  Several OG members have PM'd me about the strikers, and to answer their queries; I've made well over 100 boat paddle strikers out of over 45 different woods, but have never sold one.  I'd like to make more strikers out of the pictured wood, but I've shown it and the wood to a lot of call makers,  and it's still unidentified.  I generally carry 8-10 different strikers while hunting due to the fact that I carry 3-4 pot calls w/ different surfaces, and the individual calls all have preferential strikers.  I always carry the ? striker, Brazilian cherry, hickory, chinaberry, osage orange and then will mix it up w/ strikers of pink ivory, bubinga, walnut, red cedar, vera wood, mountain laurel, maple, boxwood, American holly, ebony, wenge, purpleheart et al., and tipped strikers with ebony, ivory, bone, aluminum, antler, or corian tips.
Craig

decoykrvr

Mystery wood identified!!  Last month I sent a sample of the wood to the USDA Forest Products Laboratory in Madison, WI, for identification,  I got a reply this weekend.  Ryan we were both wrong, the wood was identified as Manilkara bidentata, common names, Balata, Paraju, Massaranduba, Bulletwood.  A South American, Central American, Caribbean hardwood the reddish heart wood is used for furniture, flooring, etc., and is the most valuable wood exported from Puerto Rico, and is so dense that it sinks in water.  This is the best wood from which I've ever made a striker and it runs well on everything I've tried it on.  It's extremely high on the Janka scale @ 3190 and would make a good trumpet or pot call.  I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has access to the wood, since I'd like to get some more for strikers.
Craig

Bonjour

Glad you got word back on that wood. I will definately be trying to find some to make some strikers and try a pot with. That striker you gave me is one of the best sounding strikers that I have ever ran.

handcannon